I know we’ve met many times,
but what was your name again?
Let’s laugh the whole thing off
© Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CTP, CMC, ACT, MCC, SCAC
from the Friday Funnies Series
Quick Intro before we get to the Funnies
What we can and cannot recall at any particular time depends on a lot of factors . . .
our generation … our cultural imperatives … what sticks out among the familiar … the time of day and how much sleep we’ve had lately … whether we are well-hydrated — even what we ate for breakfast.
Unfortunately, the mechanics of human memory still remain a mystery to the science crowd.
They now know a great many more things, however, for example:
* THAT memories are not stored in one part of the brain alone – nouns, names & faces are stored in different areas (and some brains have trouble with ALL of them)
* THAT bits of memories are distributed — each time they are recalled they are reconsolidated anew
* THAT how we feel and think when we recall them changes memory’s bits and bytes — which is why eye-witness testimony is not reliable
* THAT more recent memories become tougher to recall as we age, even when we can vividly remember what happened much earlier in great detail, and
* THAT attention and focus (and sleep) are essential for effective long-term storage. If we are paying attention elsewhere, storage for recall is iffy (and when we don’t sleep, brain filing is a crapshoot) — even our own promises to our significant others
But that is ALL little consolation when they can’t help us with CRS:
that disabling “disorder” when we Can’t Remember Stuff.
Related Comic — Winter Food Storage
All is not lost
Fortunately, there are quite a few brain-based explanations and work-arounds for memory’s glitches.
I continue to share a great many coaching tips and tricks to help with more reliable storage and recall (and I’ve included links in this post to some of my longer, more serious articles on memory).
Today, however, we’re going to temper our frustrations with a quick bit of humor.
How many of the situations below have you experienced in YOUR life?
Oh, and after today, Funnies post only occasionally
Reminding you of what I disclosed in last Friday’s introduction to this series, Funnies about Perspective: unlike the ongoing Sunday Smiles and Monday Funnies you’ll find on Chris The Story Reading Ape’s Blog, my Friday Funnies will show up only occasionally, usually clustered around a theme.
If I get the feeling that things have gotten a tad serious here in the world – or on ADDandSoMuchMORE.com – get ready for another hit of humor, most likely another Friday Funny.
YOU PLAY TOO
If you have something on your website or blog that relates to the theme, especially if it’s humorous, please feel free to leave a link in a comment. Keep it to one link per comment or you’ll be auto-spammed, but multiple comments are just fine and most welcome.
AND NOW for some more humor . . .
Read more of this post