Oct. 2017 Mental Health Awareness

October is ADD/ADHD Awareness Month

Along with Advocacy & Awareness
for many other mental health issues —
this month especially

World Mental Health Day is October 10th

by Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CTP, CMC, ACT, MCC, SCAC
Part of the ADD/ADHD Cormidities series

Mark your blogging calendar

Each year is peppered with a great many special dates dedicated to raising awareness about important emotional, physical and psychological health issues. Scroll down for a list highlighting important days and weeks that impact mental health.

Also included on the list below are awareness and advocacy reminders for health problems that intersect, exacerbate or create problems with cognition, mood and attention management.

If I’ve missed anything, please let me know in the comments below so that I can add it to the list.

Attention Bloggers: If you write (or have written) an article that adds content to any of these categories, feel free to leave a link in the comment section and I will move it into its appropriate category.

(Keep it to one link/comment or you’ll be auto-spammed and I’ll never see it TO approve)

Increase your ADD/ADHD Awareness

Many attentional challenges are NOT genetic

The attentional challenges you will most frequently hear or read about are experienced by individuals diagnosed with one of the ADD/ADHD varietals, usually associated with a genetic component today — at least by those who do their research before ringing in.

Related Post: ADD Overview-101

However, NOT ALL attentional & cognitive deficits are present from birth, waiting for manifestations of a genetic propensity to show up as an infant grows oldernot by a long shot!

Almost everyone experiences situational deficits of attention and cognition any time the number of events requiring our attention and focus exceeds our ability to attend.

Situational challenges are those transitory lapses that occur whenever our ability to attend is temporarily impairedwhen there are too many items competing for focus at the same time.

As I began in Types of Attentional Deficits, regardless of origin or age of onset, problems with attention and cognition are accompanied by specific brain based bio-markers, the following in particular:

• neuro-atypical changes in the pattern of brain waves,
  • the location of the area doing the work of attention and cognition, and
  • the neural highways and byways traveled to get the work done.

In addition to the challenges that accompany neuropsychiatric issues and age-related cognitive decline, a currently unknown percentage of attentional deficits are those that are the result of damage to the brain.

Many ways brains can be damaged

• Some types of damage occur during gestation and birth
    (for example, the result of substances taken or falls sustained during pregnancy, or an interruption of the delivery of oxygen in the birth process);
  • Others are the result of a subsequent head injury caused by an accident or contact sports
    (since TBIs often involve damage to the tips of the frontal lobes or shearing of white-matter tracts associated with diagnostic AD(h)D);
  • Still others result from the absorption or ingestion of neurotoxic substances; and
  • A great many are riding the wake of damage caused by stroke, physical illnesses and their treatment protocols and medications.

Still More Examples:

Cognitive lapses and attentional struggles frequently occur when the brain is temporarily impaired or underfunctioning due to:

• Medication, alcohol or other substances
  • Grief or other strong emotional responses
  • Stress, especially prolonged stress
  • Sleep deprivation

Stay tuned for more articles about attentional struggles and attention management throughout October.

NOW let’s take a look at what else for which October is noted.

Remember that you can always check out the sidebar

HOVER before clicking – often a box will appear to tell you what to expect

Awareness and Advocacy Dates for October

Remember: If you write (or have written) an article that adds content to any of these categories, feel free to leave a link in the comment section and I will move it into its appropriate category.

• ADHD Awareness Month

ADD or ADHD? What’s in a NAME?
When you are NEW to ADD
Variations on ADD-ADHD
The ADD “ADHD” Club is Open for Membership
Top Ten Stupid Comments from ADD-Docs
What’s my beef against Sir Ken Richardson?

ADD Awareness ’round the net:

EXCELLENT Info: ADHD Support Strategies for Teachers

Readers’ Posts Below:
Overcoming
Types of Bullying

Readers Links:
Author D.G.Kaye’s FaceBook Group

In 1990, the U.S. Congress established the first full week of October as Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW) in recognition of NAMI’s efforts to raise mental illness awareness. Since then, mental health advocates across the country have joined with others in their communities to sponsor activities, large or small, for public education about mental illness.

• Cerebral Palsy Day – Worldwide
    October 4, 2017 (First Wednesday Of October)

This year’s theme is ‘Mental Health in the Workplace’

Mental health issues have been shown to be the cause of employee absenteeism, lower rates of productivity and an increase in costs.

This year’s Awareness Packet from the World Federation for Mental Health [WFMH] will contribute to taking mental health out of the shadows in the work place so that people and companies have the tools to help employees and increase the overall mental health of all their employees.

World Mental Health Congress in New Delhi, November 2-5, 2017

Readers’ posts below:
Mental Health Matters
(doctor-led Clinical Commissioning Groups diverting funds earmarked
for mental health services – don’t miss the comments!)

Readers’ posts below:
Invisible Disabilities Week – My Story (PearsNotParsnips)

Life doesn’t have to be so difficult to manage.
WE can help by spreading Awareness —
which reduces STIGMA!

© 2016, 2017, all rights reserved

More related Articles ’round the net

Thanks to Terri Mauro, Parenting Special Needs Expert from the VeryWell.com site for many of the links that formed the genesis of the Awareness articles. Other links to  can be found in the Related Content section at the bottom of the majority of my articles, with my appreciation to ALL who stand up to end the stigma about Mental Health challenges.

47 Responses to Oct. 2017 Mental Health Awareness

1. Pingback: Habit Formation BASICS | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

2. Christy B says:

Thank you for bringing attention to these important dates, Madelyn. It’s wonderful that people around the world campaign for important causes and that we can use our online presence to share this information. Wishing better mental health for so many who are currently struggling xx

• Isn’t it? So many folks banding together, dedicating a large portion of their time and their lives to end Stigma and increase awareness for the benefit of all. I don’t have the time to do what THEY do, but I’m pleased to be able to play a small part nonetheless.

Fantastic rundown of causes for October Awareness M. I’m doing a FB event this Friday with a few other authors – ‘Authors Against Domestic Violence.’. ❤ xx

• Good for you, Deb. Leave me a link to your event and I’ll add it to the calendar.

• dgkaye says:

Thanks so much M. ❤ https://dgkayewriter.com/join-friday-facebook-author-domestic-violence/

• ‘Tis done. I hope you get a huge group ready, willing and able to make a positive difference. You already know I don’t have the FB habit, but if miracles happen I may pay it a visit myself – lol. ❤

• dgkaye says:

No worries M. Most appreciative for your always offering to share. ❤

• Thanks for understanding, Deb. Many days I’m going down for the 3rd time, and dealing with FB is simply not possible. My good wishes are sincere, I hope you know that.

• dgkaye says:

Absolutely! No worries my friend. I know how busy we all are, heck, I barely have time to be there LOL :)xx

4. We can talk about genetic and non-genetic attention deficits, but thank you for making me aware of October being ADHD Awareness month. I’ll make sure to let my husband know!

• Thanks, Dolly. Our time to shine – lol. 🙂

• LOL In my house, shining so brightly, I am blinded sometimes! 😻

• lol – we’re tough to ignore.

• How do you manage to take words right out of my mouth all the time? This is how I explain to my students the difference between ADD and ADHD: ADD ignores you, while ADHD is impossible to ignore.
            Back to the kitchen…

• Wonderful words to explain the difference. Don’t be surprised to find yourself quoted ere long.

• Thank you, but I don’t think anything special of whatever I blurt out trying to make students understand.

• Maybe YOU don’t, but I know gold when I read it.

• As as Chinese policeman said to his American counterpart who commented on his Chinese wisdom, “Oh, I just make this stuff up as I go along.” I forgot where I got this quote from, but I love it nonetheless.

• I love it too!

• As I remember, he is sitting in a Jewish restaurant eating chicken soup when the American walks in, and without raising his eyes, he says,”Life is like this bowl of soup.” “How is that?” -asks the American, expecting a deep philosophical pronouncement. “Oh, I don’t know. I just make this stuff up as I go along.” I think it was in one of Joseph Wamba’s books, but I am not sure.

• Thanks. Here’s to SOUP!

• 😻

5. Liked your post. Don’t know how this fits but I’ve got a personal story on bullying Overcoming and I pressed this article on bullying Types of Bullying) In my opinion, bullying can have a mental effect if you let it. ADD/ ADHD is important to be aware too. Good post.

• Thanks Crystal. Yes – bullying most certainly has an effect on mental health (and is likely done by folks who need some help in that department, but rarely get it). Good for you for noticing that October is also Bullying Prevention Month.

IMPORTANT: In the future don’t put two “live” links in one comment (click-able) or you’ll be autospammed. Leave them in separate comments. I found you and fixed your links, but I don’t always have the time to dig thru the trash.

• Appreciate the fix and advice. So sorry.

• It happens – I just don’t like missing the comments.

• Understood

6. spedadvisor says:

Thanks for brining awareness! Loved your Post!

• WONDERFUL post. I will most certainly add it to my Awareness Calendar – featured. Thank you SO much for making me aware of it.

7. Reblogged this on Die Erste Eslarner Zeitung – Aus und über Eslarn, sowie die bayerisch-tschechische Region!.

• Thank you, Michael for helping to spread the awareness. MUCH appreciated.

• Thx! Have a great sunday. 😉 Michael

• We will, thanks. Just found out there is a party at Tink’s Cheers Bar down the street, so we’re planning to have dinner there, snacking during the Trivia Tournament that begins in about 30 minutes. Fun night OFF!

8. Sharing… 🙂

• Thank you SO much, Bette.

9. Recently I saw some posts on Facebook for Are you OK day. Seems there is much activity on those days, then everything is forgotten. Like one day is enough. I say, make every day count! Cheers,H

• Absolutely, Helen. I’d like nothing better than to see these “awareness days” become totally irrelevant.

Excellent information, Madelyn. Thank you for sharing.

• Thank YOU for taking the time to pop over, read and comment.

• -Eugenia says:

You’re most welcome.

11. Madelyn must say you are a fantastic person and I simply loved this beautiful post of yours. Your post is so informative and encouraging to all the people who are suffering from all these diseases and you have pointed out so well. Thanks for the wonderful share. I hope we too had all this in India but apparently not, our country is not so very well versed.

• That is quite an endorsement coming from you! Thank you, Kamal.

India isn’t the only country that is behind in info about mental disabilities (and America’s current administration seems determined to ignore what we already know) – but maybe these Awareness days will help to bring the entire world up to speed, thanks to the internet and good folks like YOU!

• Yes absolutely I hope so and let us see what happens. Awareness is very important in any subject of life

• Absolutely!