Best ways to help victims of Hurricane Harvey

Hurricane Harvey – How You Can Help
From Nicolas Rossi and Deborah Carney

adding to the What Kind of World do YOU Want Series

Long time readers know that I rarely reblog, since the WordPress truncated “click to read more” reblog format is frustrating for so many of you.

I am making a rare exception in this case (edited via Press This), sharing an article from Nicholas C. Rossis.

It contains quite a few suggestions about ways in which those of you who are inspired to help Harvey’s disaster relief efforts might best do so.

It was generated by information from Deborah Carney of BookGoodies.com, who speaks from personal experience.

In 2012 she lost everything in Hurricane Sandy.

Nicholas goes on to say that Deborah’s experience “taught her a lot about how organizations and the government don’t help the way you think they will.”

So, Hurricane Harvey prompted her to compile and share a list of organizations that are dedicated to helping people directly affected.

They are “boots on the ground” and not tying up your donations in administrative costs and funding things that don’t really help.

I AM going to send you over to Nicholas’ blog to read more about what Deborah found most needed and most helpful, along with most of her suggestions of places that will do a lot with your contributions, briefly explaining how they work and how they help.

If you are anything like me, you want the majority of any help you are able to provide to go to directly to the people who are struggling – NOT to the agencies with administrative overhead to support, or to anyone attempting to profit personally under the guise of “helping the victims.”

Before you go, I want to share just a few of her suggestions here, as well as a few links to some other articles below, for anyone interested.

Please feel free to reblog – here or there –
spreading the word is something we can ALL afford to do.

Helpful Organizations

In Deborah’s case, the following organizations showed up and dived in, helping with food, donations directly to people, and with hands to help her clean out her house.

They were there before the Red Cross and did more for people than any government agency did — and without “paperwork” or asking for anything in return:

Read the entire article here:
Hurricane Harvey – How You Can Help | Nicholas C. Rossis

From the News & ’round the ‘net:

available right now – on this site.

COACHING LINKS at the end of all posts

43 Responses to Best ways to help victims of Hurricane Harvey

1. Pingback: HELP needed and offered #Flash4Storms | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

I saw Nick’s post, and it seems that Irma hits before the folks in Houston can even begin to recuperate. So many ways to donate by so many is beautiful. Shared of course! 🙂 xx

• Thanks, Deb. I am SO grateful that Irma wasn’t as bad as predicted – and that folks are stepping up to help.

• dgkaye says:

3. Christy B says:

Hi Madelyn, I shared the post too earlier in the week. And now there’s Hurricane Irma leaving so much damage in its path and poised to land on the tip of Florida within 15 hours! Oh Mother Nature – sending prayers to all xx

• Can you leave me a link, Christy? I can’t find it.

Joining you in prayer for those in Irma’s path — as well as those still recovering from Harvey.

• Christy B says:

It’s the same post as the one you shared, the one from Nicholas. With more voices we can become a powerful source of reference – we must not stop writing! Here is the reblog: https://whenwomeninspire.com/2017/09/05/hurricane-harvey-how-you-can-help-nicholas-c-rossis/

• THANKS, Christy. Sorry it has taken me so long to approve – I’ve been away from the computer with some friends (like a real person on a Friday nite – lol)

4. Great post and reminder Madelyn. We have family living down there. On Friday we head down. It seems interesting how while others are leaving we’re going. Oh well we are sure we’ll be of use somewhere.

• You are brave and wonderful souls. My prayers for your continued safety. Take a stock of potty-pads in case you are “weathered in” for a day or two and Emma cannot go outside.

• LOL. We sure do hate poop patrol but comes with the turf. After all she’s family, lol.

• Tink is trained to go indoors if he must (while I am asleep) – but he MUCH prefers to go outside, of course. My own furry family member is a tiny guy with a tinier bladder, so it’s really not a big deal – although he “misses” at times, he is great about using his “indoor potty” in the bathroom (treat-trained & maintained – lol)

• We are amazed at Emma. When we’re home and need to go out she knows when she’s not coming. She trots to her cage (4 x 4x 4) and walks in. She’s never messed in it. Sometimes we’ve been gone 6-7 hours. We make a big deal when we come inside and she begins her little snorts and when we let her out we play chase around the house. After 5 minutes of that we go out and she’ll do her tinkle. She is such a great dog this way. In the travel van she’s never messed either. Animals are amazing. You are lucky in that Tink is tiny so you can stow her away in your hand bag and take her with you. Emma’s a 60 pounder so a little hard to hide, lol.

• 60 pounds would be a bit of a struggle – lol – but even Tink is now a bit big for a purse. 🙂

Both his parents were only 9 pounds, but he is a “big” little guy (solid, not fat) – going on 12 pounds, tho’ my vet wants him to get down to stable 11-11.5 over the next year. He eats Taste of the Wild. a “nutrient-dense” kibble, and apparently I’ve been over-feeding for that brand. (More carrots and broccoli, fewer sweet potato treats too.)

Tink’s protective barking makes it harder for motels, etc. – working on that – but he’s always quiet as a mouse in his carrier so I can take him with me in most stores, the library, etc. Since it looks like a black tote bag with a black mesh “window” and a shoulder strap, only kids down at his level have ever even looked inside and realized there was “A puppy!” in there.

Emma sounds amazing indeed. Her bladder must be huge – lol. It’s incredible what a dog will do for love and attention, isn’t it? And I know you guys love her to pieces. Family, right?

5. The current hurricanes in the US are really scary, Madelyn. They are impacting a number of our blogger friends and I am really feeling involved for the first time as a result. Thank you for this post with helpful information.

• The thanks really go to Nicolas and Deborah – so I will accept them on their behalf. It IS scary. I have brothers, long-time friends and several beloved blog buddies in Florida. That brings it REALLY close to home!

But every victim everywhere is somebody’s beloved.
      Good lesson, yes?

• Yes, it does make us stop and think.

• So many things do since I first began blogging. Interesting how that expands into life itself.

6. Chuck says:

Hi Madelyn,
    There are disasters all over the world and when people come together, it warms the heart. With everything going on that was making the U.S. more divisive, we managed to put this aside and come to the rescue of those in need. Now we have another one heading right in the area where I live (S.E. Florida). Will the leadership in Washington come together to help the citizens of Texas and Florida with out making it a political battle?

I feel fortunate that I have a newer home that should withstand the storm. But there are so many in our area that don’t. The mass exit has started here and it is a zoo to attempt getting supplies. Store shelves are empty and as soon as they are restocked, they are emptied again. We have two major highways leading north and both are packed. I have been through numerous storms, even Andrew, but I admit, this one scares me.

Speaking of one of us, has anyone heard from Elizabeth (Houston Photo Journey) since Harvey hit. If I had her email address, I can’t find it. I pray she survived without too much of a loss.

Depending on the storm and how much damage we experience, I may not be able to get back on for a while. HUGS to all.

• #1 – I don’t follow Elizabeth. ANYBODY ELSE know how she came through Harvey?
      ~~~~~~~~
      Your description of what’s going on in Florida is distrubing. My prayers for your safety – and don’t worry about getting on line. I’ll be watching to see that you are okay, of course, but I have to say “good riddance” about anybody who’d stop following because you “disappeared” for a while.

I’m sure you are prepared, but I just added a link to a TIPS for Irma prep that might remind you of one or two things you haven’t considered, like Propane for example, and freezing blocks of ice, etc. Pet needs may have been “underlooked,” (i.e., stocking up on “potty pads” if it isn’t possible to take them outside for a day or two). MEDICATIONS are also key!

Totally agree that the upside is a clear demonstration that there is still so much goodness in the citizens of our country – despite what it may appear from the media.

May God hold you both in the palm of His hand.

Thanks for the list, Madelyn. We may need to use it again, if Irma does what I think it will do to Florida. We are bracing here in NC as well.

• Scary season. I’m hoping it opens some GOP political eyes about the reality of climate change, the need to wake up, actually DO something to *protect* our planet, and stop undercutting laws designed to protect it in the name of corporate capitalism. ::sigh::

My prayers for the safety of ALL.

Excellent post, Madelyn, and the more we bring these catastrophic events to people’s attention, the better chance it will stick with them. Once the media moves on, then the event seems to lose it relevance and we don’t want that to happen. Be prepared to help Florida because Hurricane Irma is on its way. The hurricane is bigger than the entire state of Florida.

• Thanks for your comment, Eugenia. My brothers and their families are in Florida, so I’m looking forward to hearing that Irma stopped upgrading and blew itself out over the ocean!

Don’t wanna’ get started on the sensationalist sound-bite policies of today’s media (or the politicians passing laws that overrun or ignore the needs of the planet).

• -Eugenia says:

Most of those good folks in Florida are on their way to Georgia, as I write. Welcome to the Peach state, Floridians!

• I still haven’t heard from my brother, but I have two good friends who will be staying put and praying.

• -Eugenia says:

It looks real scary from what I seeing tonight.

• Sending prayers – it’s in God’s hands now.

9. GP Cox says:

We just might have similar stories here soon from Hurricane Irma.

• Crossing my fingers and saying my prayers that Irma turns out to be less dramatic than predicted, GP. I’m sure I’m not alone there.

• GP Cox says:

Nice of you to say, Madelyn. I’ve been through them before – Andrew sure took the cake!!

• For sure! According to Wikipedia, Andrew was the sixth-costliest Atlantic hurricane ($26.5 billion in damage). Scary to think of the costs of Harvey (and, shortly, Irma).

My prayers are for the safety of the people themselves – although it is a hassle, THINGS can be replaced.

10. I always remember what a blogger friend once said, if something horrible happens, look at the helpers to find courage back… and I hope there are many people who help and who support each other … to see them is a sign of hope…

• Thank you for this encouraging comment. We desperately need some hope here in America – and not just because of the hurricanes.

11. Lucy Brazier says:

A very worthy reblog! Fantastic post by Nicholas, a very astute chap.

• Thanks, Lucy. Had to share it.

My heart goes out to Texas and Louisiana – some are calling it a 1,000 year event. It’s not over yet – they are expecting much more flooding, even with the downgrade. And they still aren’t sure where Irma will hit (especially if she veers toward the Gulf) or how severe she will turn out to be. Florida has already declared a state of emergency in preparation. Worse Hurricane season in 500 years, according to many.

But nooooo – the TwitWit in charge here assures us that “rumors” of climate change are a hoax.

I know you’ve moved on and are way busy with new projects, but did we miss our shot at tying him to a kitchen chair a la Tony Blair?

• Lucy Brazier says:

It may be that I have to raise a small army of bowler hat wearing British assassins to pop across the pond and sort out your presidential problems with a nice cup of tea and some extreme violence…

• If only you could, Lucy. I don’t know WHAT it will take for the rest of our elected officials to wake up, smell the coffee and oust the bugger. Tea may indeed be the solution!

12. Great read, Madelyn and just as Hurricane Harvey happened and destroyed everything even in Mumbai, India last Tuesday we had terrific downpour maybe like a cyclone but it was devastating and just like good samaritans we too had such good people. It is so nice to have people helping and coming to aid of people in distress. Thanks for the share.

• Thank you for commenting, Kamal. Stay safe.

• Welcome Madelyn. Good night dear to you and the awesome Tink.

• And good morning to you, Kamal. “See” you tomorrow.
          woof! TINK

• Thanks dear yes see you tomorrow.