June 2017 Mental Health Awareness

Special days & weeks in June

Along with Advocacy & Awareness
for mental health related issues
(and a calendar for the month!)

by Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CTP, CMC, ACT, MCC, SCAC
Part of the ADD/ADHD Cormidities series

JUNE is PTSD Awareness Month —
June begins with Sleep Disorder Awareness Week
and National Cancer Survivor’s Day

Online Marketing Gurus extol the effectiveness of piggy-backing posts onto particular events – how about one or several of the ones below?
They make GREAT, positive writing prompts!

Mark your blogging calendars!

Many days of the year have been set aside every month to promote awareness or advocacy of an issue, illness, disability, or special-needs related cause.

In addition to a calendar for the current month, each Awareness post attempts to offer a list highlighting important days and weeks that impact and intersect with mental health challenges — reminders for health problems that intersect, exacerbate or create additional problems with cognition, mood, memory, follow-through and attention management.

If I’ve missed anything, please let me know in a comment so that I can add it to the list below.

I pray that 2017 will be the year
when EVERYONE becomes aware of
the crying need for upgraded mental health Awareness —
and FUNDING.

Stay tuned for more articles about Executive Functioning struggles and management throughout the year (and check out the Related Posts for a great many already published).

Remember: If you write (or have written) an article that adds content to any of these categories,
feel free to leave a link in the comment section and I will add it to the post’s Related Content.

IMPORTANT: All links were active at the time I created this document, and I tried to limit the number of “.gov” sites and sites with federally funded content.

Since the American president is busily removing government content that doesn’t support his agenda, I can’t promise that off-site links will still be active when you click – or how much of the original content will remain.

Awareness and Advocacy Events for June
(intersecting with Mental Health & cognitive challenges)

PTSD Awareness Month
Post-traumatic Stress Awareness-American Psychological Association
Symptoms of PTSD ADAA  (Anxiety & Depression Association of America)

Starting in 2010, Congress named June 27th PTSD Awareness DAY
(S. Res. 455).

In 2014, the Senate designated the full month of June for National PTSD Awareness (S. Res. 481). Efforts continue to honor this designation in the coming years.

Related Posts:
PTSD Overview – Awareness Post 2016
C-PTSD: Complex PTSD Awareness
When Fear Becomes Entrenched & Chronic

LinkList: PTSD & TBI too Articles & Supports

National Brain Injury Awareness Month (Canada)
The Brain Injury Association of Canada

Related Posts:
How do brains get damaged? Is yours?
TBI Recovery – like life on the high seas

LinkList: PTSD & TBI too Articles & Supports

National Aphasia Awareness Month
The National Aphasia Association

Aphasia is more common than Parkinson’s Disease, cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy. Nearly 180,000 Americans acquire Aphasia every year and affects about two million Americans alone. However, most people have never heard of it.

Aphasia is an acquired communication disorder that impairs a person’s ability to process language.

It does not affect intelligence — it impairs the ability to speak and understand others, and most people with aphasia experience difficulty reading and writing.  The diagnosis does NOT imply a person has a mental illness.

The most common cause of aphasia is stroke (25-40% of stroke survivors acquire aphasia). It can also result from head injury, brain tumor or other neurological causes.

If the symptoms of aphasia last longer than two or three months after a stroke, a complete recovery is unlikely, yet some people continue to improve over a period of years and even decades. Improvement is a slow process that usually involves helping the individual and loved ones understand aphasia as well as learning compensatory strategies for communicating.

National Congenital Cytomegalovirus Awareness Month
The CMV Action Network

ONLY 9% of women know about CMV.

ANYONE and EVERYONE of child-bearing age needs to click the link above to learn what you need to do to protect yourself so you protect your unborn child from potentially devastating mental & physical disorders.

Sleep Disorders Awareness Week
June 1-7
American Sleep Association
American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Circadian Sleep Disorders Network

Related Posts:
*  An Open Letter to Sleep Sites EVERYWHERE —
Asking for a Legitimate Place at the Table

*  Sleeping with the Enemy: Mom’s N-24
*  Up all Nite – Sleep away the Day?

LinkList: ALL Sleep Disorders Articles

Down’s Syndrome Awareness Week (UK)
June 4-10
Down’s Syndrome Association

Related Post: World’s First Down’s Syndrome Zumba Instructor

30th Annual National Cancer Survivors Day
Sunday, June 4th, 2017  (First Sunday in June)
The Official Website: National Cancer Survivors Day
Improving Cancer Survivors’ Mental Health

As a melanoma survivor myself  — several decades clear now and one of America’s more than 15.5 million cancer survivors — this is indeed a day to celebrate (and pray that lives & research funding will NOT fall victim to short-sighted budget cuts)

World Sickle Cell Day
June 19
Sickle Cell Disease Awareness

It is not just about Race; it’s also about Region.

Sickle Cell Disease [SCD] is now believed to be a “tropical disease” where the red blood cells mutated to protect the body from Faliciparum Malaria. It is the most frequently occurring genetic disease on earth.

In the United States, 1 out of 10 African Americans have sickle cell trait and 1 out of 625 newborns have the disease.

Individuals with sickle cell trait (AS) inherit one gene for normal hemoglobin (A) and one gene for sickle hemoglobin (S) – carriers of the disease but usually free of medical problems.

Individuals with sickle cell disease (SS) inherit two genes for sickle hemoglobin (S), symptomatic because their red blood cells do not make normal hemoglobin.

Contrary to what you may have heard, sickle cell is NOT confined to African Americans. Within the United States SCD currently affects more people of African descent, but the gene can be found in in many nationalities:

Arabs, Greeks, Italians, Latin Americans, Native Americans, people from India as well as Caucasians — and the facts are being updated world wide.

All races should be screened for this hemoglobin at birth.

Globally, millions of people of every race have Sickle Cell Trait — and about 2 million people have sickle cell trait in the US alone.  There is significant concern about the effects of sickle cell trait as it relates several known situations.

Research has shown that those who carry the SC trait:

* who become overly fatigued and/or dehydrated in extremely hot temperatures are at risk of death, especially athletes;

* who visit high elevations are risking damage to their eyes necessitating eye surgery and resulting in partial to full blindness.

Finally, Pulmonary Hypertension is now being looked at as an issue not only for SCD patients but for any who have the trait.

Click HERE for a great deal more information.

Other links to other posts and lists can be found below (in the Related Content section at the bottom of the majority of my articles), with my appreciation for improving your own Awareness, with hopes that you will help me SPREAD THE WORD!

Thanks again to Terri Mauro, Parenting Special Needs Expert from the VeryWell.com site
for many of the links that formed the genesis of the original Awareness articles.

Related Content ’round the ‘net

45 Responses to June 2017 Mental Health Awareness

1. Pingback: Sleep Awareness and Health | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

Always sharing your informative posts Madelyn. 🙂 xx

• Thank you so much, Debby. Always appreciating.

• dgkaye says:

3. Pingback: Executive Functioning & Diseases of Aging | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

4. Pingback: Surviving Cancer – a celebration | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

5. Wendy says:

I love that you do this. I learn so much, every month. I have been remiss in writing posts about events. Long story. Having a hard time writing.
    As always I’m glad I found you tonight. ♡♡

• My darling — you have written SO much that is helpful to so many, despite your own considerable health challenges, I wouldn’t worry about it! I gotcha’ covered.

6. TT says:

Reblogged this on In through One door and out the other and commented:
    “Please share–it’s how ideas spread!” – Madelyn Griffith-Haynie

• I love it when these monthly calendars are reblogged. In today’s world, where budgets are being “balanced” on the backs of the poor, the old, and the infirm, information and advocacy has never been more important. Research and clinical trials cost money, of course, but a sick populace costs more. Thanks so much for helping to spread the word.

7. So many important topics to truly note and be aware of. As we step outside ourselves there is so much to be aware of.

• Yes – and we wouldn’t have to be aware of quite so many health challenges with enough funding to develop cures and treatments! Health care costs are escalating rapidly as the world’s population ages.

According to U.S. statistics, in 1960 5% of the GDP** was spent on health care. By 2010, that figure had increased to 18% and continues to increase.

It is projected that, unless things change significantly, by the year 2040 over 40% of the gross GDP** of the US will go into health care alone. This is obviously a problem we cannot possibly afford.

Public awareness and research funding can reverse this trend. Medical science research simply MUST be funded ongoingly – for humanitarian as well as economic reasons.
      ~~~~~~~~
      **For anyone reading: Gross domestic product [GDP] is the total value of everything produced by all the people and companies in the country – citizens and foreign-owned companies included. It is considered the best way to measure the state of a country’s economy.

• That increase is staggering. Yes, public awareness is essential as is research funding. We like the benefits therefore must pay the price somewhere in the process.

• And it will be so much cheaper to pay them up front! I really don’t understand why our politicians and party bosses don’t GET that. Surely their economic advisors have run the numbers.

• Our politicians and party bosses don’t get it. They are only in it for themselves and we don’t even get the crumbs, lol. We’re sure they have run the numbers but they can’t justify it so they ignore it.

• If enough of us let them know that getting re-elected was directly linked to finding a way TO justify it, I’ll bet they’d have a hard time continuing to ignore it!

• Sooooooo true. “We the people”. Our voice is what the framers of our Constitution fought for. A great book to check out is “The 5000 Year Leap – A Miracle That Changed the World” by Skousen.

• A recommendation from you definitely goes on my TBR list! After my bookclub meeting Monday eve I’ll be returning a few to the library, so I’ll see if they have it.

• We’re sure your list of books to read is a long one. Isn’t it great thought to settle in on those rainy days with a good read that satisfies the soul.

• Rainy or sunny – I LOVE to read something exciting, different or soul satisfying whenever I can shoe horn the time to read outside my field into my life.

• We know what you mean. It keeps us fresh and a part of.

• I always feel like it expands what it means to be human – getting inside the thoughts of another. Even reading good blog content (like YOURS, btw) does that for me.

• Isn’t it great to expand our understandings of life and people. We all have a voice and its nice to have forums where thoughts can be shared and minds opened.

• One of the double-faced blessings of technology – expanding the number of those forums. If only the time to partake expanded correspondingly – lol 🙂

• 🙂

8. Liz says:

Much appreciated and solely needed, this needs to be an open discussion at most work places really. So sad that most keep things secret. Love your movement.

• Thanks, Liz. It’s really disturbing that it’s not at the forefront of the minds of our politicians, who have always been confoundedly short-sighted about medical research and the need for appropriations.

Had Reagan listened to his Surgeon General and dedicated emergency research dollars instead of ignoring the emerging threat of an Aids epidemic, how many lives would have been spared?

If Sickle Cell funding had been at effective levels MUCH earlier, it wouldn’t be news that transfusions and gene therapy could save (and could have saved) millions from painful – and needless – deaths.

Awareness and advocacy have never been more important, as America’s current president proposes to cut billions from health-related funding!

• Liz says:

You are a powerhouse, glad we have you.

• Ditto! We are ALL needed – each one teach one.

I have to believe that, together, we can turn this rusty old ship around, get it in for much needed repairs, and send it out to spread love and heal the planet. I couldn’t go on if I didn’t.

Reblogged this on BrewNSpew and commented:
    Sharing useful information from Madelyn…

• Thank you so much for the reblog, Eugenia.

As they say, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!” Research funding is prevention’s vaccination. Without widespread public awareness and advocacy, that vaccination will not be made available.

We do what we CAN, right?

Excellent information. Sharing.

• God bless you, Eugenia. The greater the awareness, the greater the potential for change. I thank you so much for helping to spread the word.

11. We need to keep this in the public eye so more can be done and more money made available.

• ABSOLUTELY, Karen. Your comment is right on point. Thank you for taking the time to leave it.

• I know first hand how the mental health team let people down due to funding cuts. Also the stigma that is still there. I have said all along it should not be called mental but head or mind health or something else.

• And the attitude generated by budget cuts to the health sector seems to infect the care we DO receive — almost “why bother?”

As for stigma — I have been doing “brain-based coaching” for almost 30 years now, and many of my coaching colleagues STILL fail to get it. Sad & discouraging – and harmful!

I used to believe I’d see the end of stigma in my lifetime if enough of us put our shoulders to that wheel. Many days now I wonder if the world will EVER see it.

Still, I do as much as I am able without funding of my own — and pray.

12. Léa says:

I shudder to think of the outcome of proposed healthcare changes in America. You know all too well that Mental Health issues will be buried in the avalanche.

• Buried more deeply, that is. Mental Health issues have never really made it out of the black holes of the ignorance of years gone by.

I shudder with you, Léa, and do what little I CAN to raise awareness, praying enough people will awaken and become part of the solution. THANKS for reading and ringing in.

13. Lucy Brazier says:

Thank you, as ever, for bringing these important subjects to the attention of the world! I really admire your tireless work for mental health, it is so very important and you are an angel. Sending big hugs.

• JUST about to shut down the computer and head to bed when I saw the notice that YOU had commented. Thank you SO much for your ongoing support.

I’ll be over to see what’s new with YOU after a long almost-summer’s nap!

• Lucy Brazier says:

My pleasure my dear! Sleep tight we will catch up soon. Xx

• Long, hard-charging day (including enough trips downstairs to the washer to fill my exercise requirements for the YEAR!) – but I am eager to see what’s up with your new book when I awaken. (and even more eager to read it!)

Hooked on PorterGirl,

14. thanks for the information, I had no clue that so much events exist…

• Most of us do not (and I wouldn’t if I didn’t have to do the research for these posts). That’s why we have Awareness events!

Thank YOU for taking the time to read & comment.