Friday Fun: Fashion and Shopping

Can’t take fashion seriously?
(or maybe you take it TOO seriously?)
Whatever!
Let’s ALL laugh the whole thing off

from the Brain-Based and Friday Funnies Series

Quick Review before we get to the Funnies

Today is Jodie’s last installment of our collaboration exploring fashion as a “change agent.”  So before I send you over to A Touch of Style to finish up the series and read my closing observations, I want to review the point of fashion week before I inspire everybody to exit with a chuckle or two.

Don’t skip this review – it’s vital to everyone who wants to spend his or her “golden years” having fun rather than merely waiting for the inevitable.

Epigenetics and Fashion Week?

In Making Friends with CHANGE, posted  a week ago today, I briefly underscored the miracle of lifetime neuroplasticity — that the brain can change its structure and its function throughout our lifespan, depending on what we do with it.

We’re not stuck with – or blessed with – a lifetime contract on the brain we had when we were born.

Here’s the Good News

Gene expression is dependent upon our environment, the actions to which we commit ourselves, and even upon what we think and imagine.

The genes that shaped our brain in utero are literally capable of being turned on or off in reaction to how we respond to the targets of our focus, actually “rewiring” the brain we were born with with every new and different experience.

Changing anything is healthy-brain-aging friendly.

Change forces the brain to create new “roads” it can use when its usual pathway is damaged by any one of a number of things: stroke, concussion, medication, chronic stress – whatever.

If we change and grow as we go through life, our brain rewards us by creating new connections that will serve us well as we age.

Here’s the bad news: it works both ways

If we allow ourselves to stagnate, comfortable in our same ole’/same ole’ ways, we merely deepen the grooves of those same ole’/same ole’ pathways.

That’s GREAT for habit creation to handle those nattering Treadmill Tasks (distraction insurance that releases cognitive bandwidth for more important endeavors), but not a great strategy for brain-health overall.

For most of us, doing what we’ve always done is a recipe for functional backsliding called age-related cognitive decline – unless we are very, very lucky.

But in order to experience the benefits of brain-change, we must actually CHANGE what we ask it to do, with activities like:

• studying something completely new to us
  • learning a new language
  • practicing a new musical instrument
  • exploring a new environment
  • taking up a brand new & challenging hobby

WARNING: if we don’t keep it up, the pathways created by our brain-healthy changes actually atrophy and die from disuse.

So, just like physical exercise, it’s important to pick something we actually enjoy to keep us motivated to keep it up — so we keep on making friends with new changes.

Making friends with CHANGE as we change our clothes

Jodie and I decided it would be fun to put our heads together to see if we could come up with a week’s worth of challenges specifically designed to shake things up, forcing change to our SELF-images on the way to helping us become more “change-friendly” overall.

As I commented in Jodie’s first post of this 3-part series . . .

Not only have researchers begun to discover the importance of “play” to healthy brain development and continued health, any time we spend making friends with change is what is called “neuro-protective.”

Together we explored how playing with what we choose to wear – recombining items we already own or adding something inexpensive to alter the look – can be a terrific way of making friends with change.

Stay tuned for more about change and healthy brain aging – including tips, techniques and work arounds. Meanwhile . . .

I’ve left you links to all three of Jodie’s posts at the bottom of the funnies, so be sure to pop over to see how three different challenges were interpreted by three different “real person” models representing three different decades — along with some additional comments from me to underscore the brain- benefits.

AND NOW for some fashion-related humor TODAY . . .

How many of the situations below make YOU nod your head
(or shake it)?

YOU PLAY TOO

If you have something on your website or blog that relates to the theme, especially if it’s humorous, please feel free to leave a link in a comment. (Keep it to one link per comment or you’ll be auto-spammed, but multiple comments are just fine and most welcome).

Remember that you can always check out the sidebar

HOVER before clicking – often a box will appear to tell you what to expect

This Friday’s theme:
Fashion & Shopping

(most images below found on Pinterest)

It starts young . . .

And is helped along . . .

Dressing Dilemmas . . .

Beliefs & Ideas . . .

But SHOES are serious . . .

Perspective: NO explanation needed

Th-th-th-at’s all folks!
SEE YOU NEXT TIME

Don’t forget: The next Group Coaching is enrolling NOW.

Come learn some new brain-friendly techniques in a low-cost group format designed especially to support anyone who would like a bit of professional coaching when the budget is tight.

Click HERE to read all about it, and HERE to grab your seat while there’s still room!

Jodie’s Fashion Week Series

More Humor Posts  ’round the net

50 Responses to Friday Fun: Fashion and Shopping

1. daisymae2017 says:

Reblogged this on CRYSTAL'S PHOTO-BLOGGING SITE and commented:
    Interesting Post.The comics were something. Where did you get them? Shared On LinkedIn.

• Thank you so much for the reblog, Crystal. Most were from Pinterest, and I sourced the ones I found elsewhere below the comics themselves (and sometimes the creator’s name and/or site was printed on the graphic).

I wanted to conclude Fashion Week by posting something that maybe my male readers could enjoy more than the first two “fashion-based” episodes — but I hope everybody took the brain-based content to heart.

I really appreciate your help spreading the word.

• daisymae2017 says:

I really hope you follow my new site CRYSTAL’S PHOTO-BLOGGING SITE.

• I just dropped over and re-followed. And thanks again for the reblog.

• daisymae2017 says:

I have 2 sites now. CRYSTAL’S PHOTO-BLOGGING SITE AND WELCOME TO CRYSTAL’S SITE(ORIGINALLY COUNTRY LIVING). I’m working on the Home page now. It’s in Draft. I look to have it finished hopefully this week.

• Ah! I saw the same photo, knew you had changed from Country Living, and made the assumption – and we all know what happens when we do that. 🙂

2. Pingback: Styling and Profiling  – Espiritu en Fuego/A Fiery Spirit

3. Pingback: Sartorial Splendor – Espiritu en Fuego/A Fiery Spirit

4. That was fun!! Selfie shoes??? They probably are true! lol

• Scary, huh? But I’m sure our parents thought what we liked as kids was pretty scary too.

Happy Earth Day.

• True! lol

• I would love to take a ride into the future – assuming we all have one, that is – to see what fashion is like then. Whatever it is, I’ll bet the kids and the parents are miles apart – and neither thinks the other dresses very well. lol

• That is a sentiment as old as time!

• Oldie but goodie!

5. A very interesting read. I wonder if it is better to “stretch” your brain by learning something new in a familiar line or an area that you are strong in or to try something completely new. For example, some people really struggle to learn languages but are really good at science and maths, should they stick to their strengths or is it better to go for a bigger challenge?

• The science says to go for the new and different – it’s the challenge and the novelty that makes the greatest difference. But then, they’ve never really studied the “deepening the known” – so I my instinct is to go for change anyplace that inspires you.

6. Love your fashion funnies. All of them are so true. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight on Jodie’s blog! It was a great series. – Amy

• Thanks for jumping over here to read, Amy. LOVE the name of your blog, btw. I’ll be over to investigate ere long.

• LOL – I just took your name in vain in answer to Debbie Gies’ response on one of her posts, I believe, that I was “a reading machine” — commenting that I stood in line after DGKaye, Sally Cronin and YOU!

Truly, I don’t know how you manage to curate SO many blogs, but I will be forever grateful that mine is one you read and like. Thank you again.

• Hahaha! i’m like ‘Beeteljuice’ say my name once too often & I appear :0)

• Well you must be popping up all over the world. You have many fans — even loved by Hamsters! (and those Dudes aren’t easy to please).

8. I concur on the no one has too much black! 😍

• My neurotypical college friends who have settled out west (US) tend to wear pastels, and have suggested that my preference for black indicates an underlying problem with depression – lol. (As if they had to look beyond my life at my *wardrobe* for that one – bless their NT little hearts.)

What is it they say, “Once black you never go back?” Who knew they were talking about fashion!? 🙂

9. badfish says:

I needed to hear this today…I’ve started to stagnate, and need to go through with the change that I’ve been delaying because…I’m comfortable here, but miserable and in so deep I can’t even see above the rut.

• Good to bring it to consciousness. Begin by changing a few small things, Mr. Fish, to prime your brain for larger changes – they won’t seem so daunting.

As disheartening as your comment is, it underscores the greater point of the article – and I appreciate your honesty and in posting it – as well as your courage. THANKS!

10. Chuck says:

Hi Madelyn
    I love your writings. Some people have the ability to write “tongue-in-cheek” humor. I’m not one of them, although I try. You are great at it even when there is a serious message hidden within. Don’t stop.

• Chuck, this comment has practically lifted the veil of WordPress frustration from the last few days all by itself. Thank you SOOOOOO much!

I especially appreciate your understanding that my tongue is often firmly in my cheek as I attempt to explain brain-based information in plain English (as plain as my English ever gets – lol).

11. So much wonderful truth amidst the humor. Use it or lose it. We keep using it in hopes to reach 100. Love the selfie shoes, lol. Great job Madelyn. That neck pillow was a belly buster.

• When I saw the shoes (first photo only), my first reaction was that they were possibly the ugliest things I’d ever seen. I lost it when I got to the selfie-shot. I wonder how they’re selling? 🙂

As for the neck pillow – I had to look twice, and then I KNEW I had to include it.

• These and all of them brought smiles to us. The article was so true and one that we all need to heed if we want to stay mentally alert. It is a sure fire formula.

• Change and EXERCISE. (More coming on those studies). I’m sure the area of my brain mapping my fingers is HUGE by now. 🙂

• LOL, LOL. It’s all good, lol.

• It’s good when we do it. Not so good when we couch potato out. 🙂

• So true. We think we have all witnessed this process take place and its sad to see. There are so many reasons it does some that cannot be changed and some that can. We’re all a bit guilty of falling prey to it though.

• TELL me about it! Knowing what to do and doing what we know don’t seem to travel together very often. lol

• LOL. Its a constant task to keep the two lined up. But in the infamous words of Churchill…. never give up, never, never…,lol.

• Like we had much of a choice – lol

• LOL. Winners never quit and quitters never win. If not for the encouragement of others I would have quit long ago. You are a winner and the encouragement you give out now I believe is a result of seeing the power of how encouragement can work in the lives of others?

• I greatly appreciate the endorsement, but I’m not sure how to define “winner” (or how to judge my own degree of same) —
              adherence to values?
              accumulation of economic reserves? degree of notoriety? peer appreciation? functional ability: life-skills demonstrated?
              sheer survival (i.e., “Time in grade” despite challenges) – etc. forever!! 🙂

I LOVE “midwifing lives” however – and wish “tough love” would be debunked forever.

12. robjodiefilogomo says:

This really was quite a fabulous topic!! And the best part was your input, Madelyn!
    Sure, I could say the same things, but having an expert weigh in on it….now that’s impressive!!
    I consider this a huge success, and if you ever want to play again, I’m up for the challenge!!!
    Jodie

• Thanks, Jodie – this was wonderful fun for me too.

We need to slow-cook a way to do this in a brand new way – maybe organize a change-challenge blog tour with some of your fellow fashion bloggers.

13. Rae Longest says:

WHEN DID THIS START? Why am I just finding it now? What a lot to think about!

• Last Friday, Rae – you haven’t missed much and you can catch up quickly.

The articles on ADDandSoMuchMORE describe the brain-based principles, and the ones on Jodi’s blog demonstrates how three different “real women” representing three different decades interpreted three different challenges (along with a few comments underscoring the brain-benefits from me).

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

• Rae Longest says:

TY!

• I’m not sure what to type in response since I don’t speak text -lol- can you tell we’re from completely different generations?

THAT means, you still have tons of time to make sure your brain is still going strong when you’re my age – if you start NOW.

• Rae Longest says:

TY is simply, Thank You. I am 72 years old and just have been influenced (or corrupted) by the juniors and seniors at the university where I teach. We probably ARE from two different generations–mine much older than you, Hon.

• No by a bunch, actually. We hang in a similar nabe, age wise 🙂 but you are obviously more up to date with kid-speak than I.

I actually googled TY before responding so I did know what it meant, but I didn’t want to discredit myself completely by admitting it when I believed I was responding to someone in college. Still, I had NO idea what shortcut was appropriate in response and was afraid to guess. I tripped across a sadly hilarious smartphone meme that keeps me cautious.

A young adult’s mother was informing all the distant relatives and friends of the sudden death of an older member of the family, ending her text with LOL.

She thought it meant “lots of love.” 🙂

14. So funny. I had to look twice at the beige neck pillow! Ha ha.

• I know – at first I wondered myself. Very funny (and a super reminder not to buy a flesh-colored neck pillow!)