Friday Fun: One for the Writers

Writing for a Living?
or merely dreaming of the day
there are trials & travails we all hate, so …

Let’s laugh the whole thing off

from the Friday Funnies Series

Quick Intro before we get to the Funnies

I spent so much time pouring through funnies about writers, I finally concluded that writers either have the best senses of self-depricating humor in the universe, or they all have writer’s block and are creating memes while they await the return of their respective muses.

I have too much material for a single post, so ere long I’ll put together Part II – Return of the Writers.

Meanwhile, I hope all you writers who visit here from time to time will enjoy a bit of levity at your expense.

Everybody else:  by the time you get to the end, I think your own job won’t seem like such a bad fit after all.

Bloggers — let me know where you fit in.

How many of the situations below make YOU nod your head?

YOU PLAY TOO

If you have something on your website or blog that relates to the theme, especially if it’s humorous, please feel free to leave a link in a comment. Keep it to one link per comment or you’ll be auto-spammed, but multiple comments are just fine and most welcome.

AND NOW for some more humor TODAY . . .

This Friday’s theme: On Writers and Writing

(most images below found on Pinterest)

Behold, the writer . . .

Writing Inspiration . . .

All the little details . . .

TheMetaPicture.com

The After Party

The New Yorker

Perspective: NO explanation needed

Th-th-th-at’s all folks!
SEE YOU NEXT TIME

Funnies post only occasionally

Reminding you of what I disclosed in the introduction to this series, Funnies about Perspective: unlike the ongoing Sunday Smiles and Monday Funnies you’ll find on Chris The Story Reading Ape’s Blog, my Friday Funnies will show up only occasionally, usually clustered around a theme.

If things seem to have gotten a tad serious in the world – or on ADDandSoMuchMORE.com – get ready for another hit of humor, most likely another Friday Funny.

Don’t forget: The next Group Coaching is enrolling NOW.

This low-cost format is designed especially to support anyone who would like a bit of professional coaching when money is tight.

Click HERE to read all about it, and HERE to grab your seat while there’s still room!

Related Articles & Funnies ’round the net

59 Responses to Friday Fun: One for the Writers

1. craig lock says:

Reblogged this on Write on Writing.

• Hip hip hooray! Thank you so much for the reblog, Craig. We can all use a LOT more chuckles these days, right? Write!

2. Pingback: Friday Fun: Writers Redux | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

3. Madelyn I did have nice fun coming here.
    What great lessons and cautions to writers. Hehehe hahaha.
    Shiva

• So glad you enjoyed it Shiva. It’s so good to have a laugh at ourselves, yes?

• Definitely Yes!
        Madelyn it has happened so many times when I come to your Blog I am dragged to do something and I am left done half read. It was nice to read your posts today.😃
        Thanks
        Shiva

• That’s okay, Shiva – they are always here for when you have time to return. Thanks for letting me know you were here today and that you enjoyed the time you spent.

Omg, I don’t know which one is the funniest! I’ve shared everywhere!!!! 🙂 x

• Thank you for sharing, my DEAR and generous friend. I’ve been playing catch-up for 2 days and still haven’t made it off wordpress.com. It will happen – but maybe not ’til late tonite or tomorrow, as I MUST walk my poor dog, let him say a quick hi to his fans playing Trivial Pursuits at his Cheers Bar (the Sunday nite activity), and run a couple of errands before darkness falls.

• dgkaye says:

Well you and your pet enjoy. It seems we’re always playing catch up! One day at a time my friend. That’s what I tell myself. 🙂 xx

• Does it help? Rushing doesn’t – I finally figured that out.

• dgkaye says:

Not! 🙂 x

• LOL – well today’s another “one day” – so perhaps I get through my lengthy to-do list before it’s over. Tink had a ball visiting his Team of Fans (he cheered them up when they didn’t win). We stayed longer than I had intended – all work and no play, etc.

TODAY I’m making the rounds — I took a peek when I got home and saw you got some new reviews I’m eager to read.

• dgkaye says:

Lol, you’re so funny. And thanks a lot. 🙂 x

• GREAT review of Meno WHAT? But then, Tina usually does a pretty enticing job.

Your site was down for a bit, btw – or at least it wasn’t going to let ME get to it. Fixed now.

• dgkaye says:

Boo those WP gremlins. I wonder if you didn’t try to visit while it was under scheduled maintenance for 10 minutes 😦 And you are right, Tina is a wonderful review writer too. 🙂 x

• Probably – it was back up when I tried again a bit later. I’m still playing catch-up, but at least I am no longer SO far behind!

• dgkaye says:

I hear you my friend. I’m on the catch up now. 🙂 x

• Pretty much always for me anymore. ::sigh::

5. Reblogged this on Kate McClelland and commented:
    Hahahahaha!

• Nice break from the serious topic of the dangers of Empathy Deficiency Disorder on the Wednesday posts, huh?

Thanks for spreading a bit of cheer.

• :0)

6. mistermuse says:

My fav is the one about the MOSTLY TWEETS chicken who hopes to write “the Great American Tweet.” With all the practice Trump gets writing tweets, you might think that’s his ambition….yet they never get better than terrible. But at least they’re mostly fiction, so maybe he could make The Great American Novel out of them.

• But wouldn’t developing The Great American Tweeted Novel assume sufficient literacy skills to string a couple of sentences together and formulate a segue or two?

I have seen NO evidence that Orange is in possession of them. Have you? I have heard it said that he doesn’t even write his own tweets.

7. Ha ha, these are so good, Madelyn.

• Thanks, Robbie. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any for writers who make little people out of fondant to illustrate their books – I guess you’ll have to put that one together!! 🙂

8. Another great collection, Madelyn! Thank you!

• Thanks, John. I needed a bit of funny after the empathy story – even if nobody else did!

Out since before 2pm, shortly after awakening – now 4 AM – so am approving a few quick comments while my eyes still focus — haven’t been ’round the net yet.

Tomorrow – once I crash and burn for a good 8-10 hours sleep – will be more of an inside day, so I will being making the rounds – and I’ll start with you.

Thanks always for your support.

• Thanks, Madelyn. Won’t be around much today – helping my daughter and son-in-law move. That’s always fun, eh!

• OMG – probably my least favorite activity (moving, not helping, btw). 🙂 Have fun and take care of your back!!!

I finally learned to slap on a back brace BEFORE I overused my back muscles and was *forced* to wear it! Lifting from the knees can only do so much when you are lifting all day.

My favorite after-party:

Stop by the drugstore on your way home and pick up a big box of Epsom Salt. Double the amount they tell you to use in a hot bath, and soak until you shrivel. Slather moisturizer afterwards, even if you don’t usually (salts are drying) – wrap up in something warm and pop open a beer!!!** You’ll be good to go the following day.

**You’re behind TWO, btw. 🙂

• Great advice, Madelyn!! Thank you!!

• Yeah, it works really well as long as you don’t forget that last part! 🙂

• 👍

This is a fun post, Madelyn. Love it.

• Thanks, Eugenia. I thought a bit of comic relief after my empathy story was a good idea. 🙂

• -Eugenia says:

😉We all need a good laugh. Your post was fun and light.

• Thanks – I know *I* was ready for a laugh.

2nd l-o-n-g day (and night!) out of my home office (just home and almost 4AM!!!) – so I will begin to play catch up this weekend. After I have Rip Van Winkeled it, of course!

Thanks again for stopping by. See you on your turf soon!

10. robjodiefilogomo says:

I think every profession has it’s pros & cons…but being able to make fun of ourselves is the best characteristic ever!!
    BTW, have you ever considered making the images bigger—or am i the only old person here who has trouble reading some of the quips?? 🙂
    Jodie

• How frustrating for you, Jodie! Sorry to read that.

Are you reading on your phone? Have you set your screen text size small (and did you know you could do that? – see below). All images are easily readable in FireFox & Safari on my Mac and I *always* have trouble reading small text. They ARE smaller than last time because I got a comment on that the last ones were too big (too much scrolling was the complaint).

~~~~~~~~
      HOW TO CHANGE PAGE SIZE:
      To Enlarge: [control and + ] (held together same time) enlarges
      [control -] makes smaller.
      MAC users: “control” is the same as “command” on your keyboards

LAST RESORT TRY THIS for any graphic you cannot see well (works on many other WordPress.com sites, btw) click on the images to see them “stand-alone” and they will be bigger. They are set on my site** to open in a new window or tab (depending on YOUR browser settings) — Close it and go back to the article tab to comment.

PLEASE do NOT comment on any page with an “stand-alone” photo – don’t know how to make it impossible to do that, but comments there do not show up on the page.
      ====
      ** other sites they may have set them replace the page, so then you have to use your browser’s back button (top of page – not part of WordPress but a feature of your browser).

11. Oh Madelyn, oh Madelyn how I can relate and fit in to each humorous clip. I’ve got 70,000 words penned on my book and laughed at the clip “…I’m writing a book not a grocery list”.

• I always love the snarky ones too! – I always wish I had the guts to say some of those things – lol – but then I probably wouldn’t have many friends if I did. 🙂

• I don’t know…. Sometimes the truth from friends is what friends want ( but are afraid to ask) lol. You’ll always have friends (the ones that count).

• Maybe it’s how we say it rather than what we say, tho’ — only Tallulah Bankhead (or maybe Mae West) could get away with non-stop snark and leave everybody howling.

• True.

12. colinandray says:

Love the funnies and sadly (but hilariously), I can directly relate to a number of them!

• Yeah – me too. Tink says I must simplify my life – that he doesn’t get ANY of them.

13. Bernadette says:

As you said last week, there is a lot of truth in humor. From the introvert trying to be an extrovert.

• You are PERFECT just the way you are Bernadette. Why mess with perfection?

If you don’t believe me, go back and read some of the comments on your site. (even one on Part III of my empathy story here mentioned you, btw – responding to your empathy/sympathy definition.

• Bernadette says:

WOW, thank you.

14. great post… and yes … when I have things in my head I will write about then I’m the third person… crazy LOL

• Mom put this together – but I don’t get what’s so funny. I don’t do any of those things – I just blog, play, eat, cuddle, puppy kiss and sleep.
      Woof! TINK

15. Sue Vincent says:

Thanks for the morning chuckle nd the mention, Madelyn 🙂

• You are most welcome, Sue.

16. Very funny! Especially the man introdcuing two editors who turned down King and Potter-irony is often rife with humor!

• Yeah – and you know that, whoever they are, they DO exist and are kicking themselves. Maybe anyone attempting to get a pro to take a look could reproduce that comic as the cover page? 🙂

17. Superb post as always Madelyn. So beautiful and apt quotes for writers and also so informative. Great words.

• Thanks, Kamal. I had fun putting it together.

• Yes am sure