For all my Grumpy friends

I told you it wouldn’t be long
before another Grumpy Monday came your way

It’s NO coincidence that I was forced to play with the clocks last night!
(Whose Daylight are they saving again?)

in the Monday Grumpy Monday Series

I never dreamed this Series would be missed

I have gotten a few comments on Monday posts from other Series wondering what happened to the Grumpy ones.

I’ve also gotten [only] a few from readers whose comments seemed as if they believe I need an “attitude adjustment,” not so fond of my intended-to-be-slightly-humorous “negativity.”

Regular readers know that my mood varies, but that most of my posts are clearly on the positive side of the ledger.

They have also gotten used to the idea that nothing has a permanent slot on ADDandSoMuchMORE.com, no doubt — much to Guest-Bloggin’ TinkerToy‘s chagrin.

Content rotates between the many Series here – kinda’ like a timeshare.

Life has kept me pretty slammed of late, so documenting my disgruntlements didn’t seem like a wise use of time.  But here’s something that keeps popping up, all the more annoying on Mondays.

Cookie Banners

Yeah, yeah, yeah – I know it’s the law in some places, and I know that, for a lot of bloggers, the placement is set through a WordPress widget you can’t adjust.

But which WordPress wizard had the screwy idea to make it cover up the WordPress follow button?

Here’s an idea, all you WordPress coders who clearly never blog but think you might know better what we need than we do anyway: how about placing it at the very TOP of the site, and letting us scroll past it?

I KNOW, btw — I can make it go away by clicking on it. But did you ever read the words on those banners?  Close and ACCEPT.

• Accept cookies?
  • Give my permission to track me all over the internet?
  • Never gonna’ happen – unless you also promise me a lifetime supply of the Girl Scout kind of cookies. (wait – I can’t eat them now that I’m gluten free)
  • Correction: NEVER gonna’ happen!

Did YOU know that you can change the setting “backstage” somewhere to make that banner go away on its own after 30 seconds? (maybe in “widgets” in the Appearance category?)

Do that, okay?
It’s a really annoying chronic distraction otherwise.

NEWSFLASH!  The always supportive and informative Chris, the Story Reading Ape, just posted an extremely clear ‘how-to’ on his blog – and you can even make it go away after TEN seconds.  Click below to read it and DO it!

EU Cookie Law Banner Timed Appearance…

But speaking of really annoying . . .

‘Sup with these nuisance laws anyway? A bunch of middle-aged white guys get together over a legislative lunch to figure out a way NOT to solve the underlying problem?

It’s not like sites are gonna’ STOP using cookies if we don’t click, right?

Well, I may not be able to stop the beatings,
but you’ll never get me to say, “Beat me, Daddy!”

Related Post: What’s the Deal with Cookie Consent Notice

What makes anybody think this is a good idea?

Remember that you can always check out the sidebar

HOVER before clicking – often a box will appear to tell you what to expect

And speaking of WordPress . . .

We KNOW you aren’t big fans of testing before release, but how come you never hire coders who blog?

How do I know?

Have any of you guys ever tried to use “the new and supposedly improved” editor? For anything more than a quick lorem ipsum or two, I mean?

It takes forever to load, it crawls once it does, linking is a headache, you’ve added features most writers don’t really use and keep taking away others that anybody who writes more than a word or two on each post uses ALL the time. And – if all of that weren’t bad enough – the scripts are buggy.

I’m so sick of getting the everything-stops-’til-you-click notice that
“a script on this page won’t dance it’s jig – kill it or fix it?”
I could scream In fact, I usually do.

Those of us who actually use a blogging platform for CONTENT keep having to find back doors to the old editor as you make it more and more difficult for us by linking increasingly more of the buttons to the new one.

PLEASE! Cut. It. Out.

Here’s a GREAT idea

How about hiring a few starving artists to take a look at what you’re planning to give you some feedback before you let it loose to mess with our systems?  (I’m for hire, for example.)

• Troll through my followers and I’ll bet you’ll notice that there are more than a few writers among them who would probably be thrilled to sell you a few hours of their time too.
  • I’ll bet you a year’s worth of free coaching that any one of them would LOVE to get paid to give you a piece of their mind.

Ho hum! I really don’t wake up this way — but it rarely takes long before something sets me off on Mondays.  (Or late on any night when I’m hoping to finish quickly, post and go to bed — just about the time you WordPress Gremlins start messing with the code again).

Here’s an even better idea:

Table the “improvements” for a month or six and set all your worker bees lose to fix what’s still not working following what you’ve already done to us. If you need a list, remember I’m for hire.

Here’s one for free:

‘Sup with the coding garbage that gets added to the bottom of each post in edit every time I save OR jump from the html “text” screen (that I signed up with WordPress not to have to use), back to the WYSI-not-WYG “visual” screen?

Since I’m sure you have NO idea why that might be a problem, let me help you out. It adds increasingly more white space between the posts and the comments – so people tend not to.

Wouldn’t you rather we didn’t have to spend the time being careful to remember to delete that crap so that we’d have more time to extol the virtues of blogging with WordPress?

And while you’re at it,
check out why the background colors
on my paid-for-custom site
don’t STAY on the site.

Anybody else chomping at the bit to ring in on this one?

Like me, do things like this make you crazy? Anybody else thinking that moving to another platform entirely suddenly seems like it wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all?

Let’s hear it from YOU

Does anything else make you crazy as you draft your posts or troll the web — or crazy in general? Like me, do you find it all tougher to tolerate on Mondays, or does it always make you grumpy?

I invite you to dump YOUR Monday grumps and gripes
in the comment section below each of my own – related or NOT.

As long as you don’t make individual people wrong, and do your best to avoid the dreaded “should” word, I will approve all comers (link-spammers shot on sight, however).

OH, and just in case anyone else is wondering:

Why do we need to “save” daylight hours during the summer? — and 5 other burning questions about DST, answered

78 Responses to For all my Grumpy friends

Lol, you’re the bomb Madelyn. You give it to them! I vote for you to become queen of the ‘Happiness Engineers’ 🙂 🙂 xo

• Oh I doubt we’d like each other much – lol – but thanks for being in my corner.

2. mistermuse says:

Fortunately I’m ‘technology challenged,’ so I don’t even try to use a lot of gizmos (or whatever they are) when I blog. The last thing I want to do is find myself someplace where I don’t have the foggiest idea how I got there or how to get out, short of hitting my computer with a hammer. Thus, when I’m composing a post, the worst thing that usually happens is that the screen suddenly goes blank for no apparent reason, but without sending into cyberspace what I’ve written. My wife tells me there are features I could use that I’m missing out on, but I tell her don’t bother trying to explain, because I wouldn’t understand a word she’s saying (which wouldn’t be that different from our usual conversations, but enough is enough!). 🙂

• LOL – technology is a moving target anyway – rock face learning curve that changes too quickly for anyone who doesn’t work in the field to keep up. It’s a full time job. Could be why coders don’t blog, I suppose.

My motto: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. 🙂

3. bethbyrnes says:

Yesterday really was the ultimate grumpy Monday here because of the time change. I hate that thing. I like standard time and would prefer it all year long. But that’s me. Partly, because I already get up at 4 am and so it is 3 am when we make the change. And to top it off, yesterday I woke up one hour before that. I was dragging all day. But, again, that’s me.

As for Word Press. I still use the old posting format and have never switched, even though they keep asking me to.

I barely have time for blogging and when I do, I want it super simple. Write, read, edit, post, done. I cannot be bothered with bells and whistles.

I hope my posts don’t have ads or banners. I am paying the extra price for my own domain so I thought (and hope) that got rid of all distracting stuff. Please let me know if you still see them on my site!

You have a lot of good ideas here, Madelyn, but that is no surprise.

• Thanks, Beth, and I have not run across ads on your site (we don’t have the EU banner law in America, which you’d already know about because you’d have to add a widget). Because of my hours, I’m still awake when many of the Brits are starting their blogging days, so I see more than my share of banners.

Once I realized that WordPress was selling ad space on my blog, I chose to pay to exclude them as well 😦 — but one of my regular readers let me know that they appeared anyway (at least once – right on top of what he was trying to read – and he had to come back in to make it go away) – much to his dismay and mine.

Fortunately he let me know vs. unfollowing immediately – but any new readers that day probably thought it was intentional and ran away screaming, never to return.

I also pay for custom formatting – set to make reading easier for those who struggle – but it has been MONTHS since my background has appeared anything but bright white in my main browser or my alternate (the worst for focus – mine is supposed to be a light cream except for the intro and quote boxes, which are supposed to be light grey to engage focus). No biggie to WP, of course, but it has negatively affected readership by folks who most need the info I usually post (this is one of the fluffer ones I include for a bit of writer relief – lol).

Even worse for me are the changes to the way editing works – even in the old editor, at least with my theme. I am spending at least an additional hour per post html coding as a result of their “improvements” – which really frosts my grapes, since I still have to make a living (and time spent putting info online for free does nothing for that!)

Many more “improvements” and the WP platform will be totally un-work-around-able for me – so if I disappear, that will be the reason.

As long as their metrics work, it doesn’t seem that blogger retention is part of their game plan. ::sigh::

• bethbyrnes says:

Your page looks cream and light grey on my screen. Very soft and pleasant.

I don’t think WP is particularly customer-aware. And I guess I no longer expect anyone to be customer-aware, lol.

• Interesting. Not on Firefox OR Safari for me. My formatting returned to CSS settings for a couple of weeks, then winked out again, returning to bright white. I doubt it is a problem at my end, since I changed nothing either time.

I don’t believe it is a matter of being customer aware – I think its an almost total lack of customer FOCUS.

• bethbyrnes says:

I use Google Chrome and it looks lovely. I often wonder how things look on other browsers. They should be uniform, otherwise, how can we create a brand or consistent image? Over my pay-grade, lol!

• Mine too, obviously. Chrome didn’t play nicely on my computer, unfortunately, so I had to uninstall it to be able to continue to work.

4. Tina Frisco says:

That dang cookie banner drives me crazy, too! You’re right; they should put it on the top of the page. As to the ‘new and improved editor’ . . . My little voice told me not to click on it, and I’m sure glad I listened! I’ve since heard so many complaints from fellow bloggers. You nailed it with WP’s coders not being bloggers. I think they’re probably not even users of any sort. The ‘happiness engineers’ usually reply quickly when addressed with a problem, but the problem is seldom rectified in one sitting. In fact, even after it’s fixed, it tends to reappear at random intervals. WP is an enigma with an inbred Gremlin who doesn’t want to go away… 🙂

• You are preaching to MY choir! Just found out from the Ape that he set his to disappear in 10 seconds – and may write an article explaining what he did. I asked him to come back with a link if/when – and I will move it INTO the article.

Don’t get me started about those ‘happiness engineers’ — I have wasted too many precious minutes of my life dealing with them already.

• Tina Frisco says:

A ‘disappearing act’ would be fantastic. Hope Chris blogs about it…

• Oh goodie – another reblog from Kate the Great. I hope and pray that WP follows your blog and might see it – they don’t seem to be aware that I exist, despite former correspondence asking why and requesting fixes.

• It sounds very irritating and frustrating Madelyn, surprised they’re not jumping on it to be honest

• It’s been months, actually, so they don’t seem eager to fix it to me.

• oh dear :0(

• Yep. And last night I tried to remove the polldaddy link included under the comments in my feed (following the Ape’s clear instructions – left in a comment on this post – to the letter), yet here it is again on your comment.

Perhaps they offer too many themes to make everything work for every single one?

• you could be right

• Chris says my outgoing comments no longer carry the polldaddy link – so maybe it will only go away totally if *everyone* does it – because some have it, some don’t today. (Your’s does, btw).

6. I’ve reset my EU Cookies Banner to disappear after 10 seconds, instead of the default 30 seconds, Madelyn 😎

• Yay Chris!! (not surprised, tho’). Hard to believe 30 seconds is default – maybe not on all themes?

I’ve been on quite a few blogs where it never goes away at all – some are the wider ones, too – which makes it tough to comment. But I’m rarely eager to follow those anyway – which is a real shame in some cases.

If you’ve done (or do) a post on setting the darned thing, come back with a link and I’ll insert it in the post for anyone who reads subsequently.

• OK – I’ll try and get a post up about that Madelyn – BTW – did you know your comments have a WordPress polldaddy link on them?
        Here’s how to get rid of them:

• Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I shall attempt to attend to it this very night.

I WAS aware, but I’ve gotten only a few comments asking what I was trying to link, so getting rid of it never rose to the top of the list for time and focus. (As you no doubt know, it only returns garbage.)

7. LOL. You are so right on with these thoughts. The cookie banners get me too, playing with the clocks is a bummer (don’t know if I should sleep more or less), so comforting to know you are experiencing the inadequacies of the WP new and improved editor, so agree with the added coding at the end of the post page… Whew, now I feel better. Thanks for listening Madelyn.

• Lots of positivity blogs and followers all over the web – which have their place as long as the timing is right. I embrace the relief of spitting out the grumpies – lol. Just not often.

As to the clocks – missed one, so of course I confused myself on awakening. If you haven’t clicked the link at the end, it’s fun as well as informative.

• Yes we clicked on the link and liked it. We forgot to do the one in the bedroom and messed with our heads.

• Gotta’ get out the ladder to do a couple near my high ceilings – and change the batteries on most of the clocks so the head messing doesn’t bleed into the rest of my days. Thank goodness my computer clock changes without my involvement, or I’d probably be forever confused.

• Wish all clocks came with the self change mode built in, lol. OCD doesn’t let me keep different time zones within our zip code, lol.

• Self-changing clocks would be helpful for most of us, that’s for sure.

Some travel agents keep clocks set to various time zones – and I did early on in my teleclass leading days – analog only, with signs under them like “CENTRAL – Nashville” to get the earlier/later and by how much into my brain, since numbers themselves rarely compute for me (people attended from all over the US and more. )

I took a lot of ribbing about that from a few friends, but even fewer people “get” dyscalculia or time concept challenges than ADD/EFD! They’re all Executive Functioning challenges in various domains.

What I don’t get are the people who deliberately set their clocks “ahead” so they won’t be late. They all know it’s not the real time, and many end up compounding their problem. It would drive me crazy.

• LOL, LOL. We have a friend that has all his clocks set ahead but is STILL late for everything. When we discuss it he feels it helps him, lol. We think he just likes confusing people and in knowing him he is a bit of a rebel rouser, lol.

• I tried that technique and it was a MESS for me – totally confused any sense of time I had going for me. None of my clocks ever remain exactly the same anyway – a minute or two behind or ahead as time marches on, and that’s bad enough!

• We like the honest approach. If its 2 its 2, if its good its good. Adjusting things kinda resembles politically correctness, lol.

• Alternative time! 🙂

8. When I first saw the changes I thought that they were a mistake or my laptop had lost its mind so I rebooting but the offending changes refuse to leave. These updates have made it more difficult for me as a blogger. However when I click on Add a New Post mine still defaults to the original editor. I forgot how I made it do this but I like the old way better.

• I don’t know anybody (who writes more than a paragraph or posts more than a meme) who likes the new editor. I’m not sharing how I get to the old one, lest somebody on the WordPress team actually reads and closes that back door too. Little chance of that, of course, but not one I’m willing to take.

I don’t hate “more difficult” as much as I despise “more time.” The changes since I started have added EASILY an hour to every post – mostly messing with html. grrrrrr

• I live in dread that somebody who posts ‘tips and tricks’ like Hugh of Hugh’s News & Views will let the cat out of the bag. Perhaps we should tell them!

• I fear it will always be a bubble under plastic for those of us using this platform to write — and for as long as they don’t hire a panel of bloggers to let them know what is actually an improvement and what makes things more difficult (and LISTEN to them!)

Some days I think WP is trying to turn into Twitter or Pinterest – as the P. users are using THAT platform less and less as their “improvements” are removing features that many of us signed up FOR.

I feel better about grumpy Monday now that I know I’m not alone. 1) the accepting cookies thing is annoying 2) Daylight Saving Time is even more annoying 3) I’m not sure if I like WP’s new changes – still evaluating. With that said, WP offers more than other sites for writers, so I can’t complain. Make it a great day! 😃

• I always reserve the right to complain – lol – praise means little when it is unilateral despite challenges, IMHO. I still think they beat Blogger, etc. – but if they keep going in the direction they seem to be traveling I’m not sure how much longer I will continue to hold that opinion.

I hope somebody is busy developing a new *writing* platform. Ironically, it would be a great deal like WordPress when I first investigated it back in their early days.

WordPress *used* to be great for writers, but less so with each “improvement” and that doesn’t have to be the case. They just don’t seem to consider consequences (or test! 😦 ). I believe it’s because coders tend to be young, live on their phones, default to tweets and memes, and few read or write much, judging by what I’ve read and the many college students in my nabe.

I truly hope somebody older and wiser (who still reads and writes) can head them off before the platform becomes basically unusable for long-form bloggers. Along with many others, I’ve invested a great deal of unbillable time over the last six years, and am not looking forward to being forced to abandon WordPress.

• -Eugenia says:

I have tested the waters on Medium, Niume, Tumblr, LinkedIn, and beBee. WP is still tops, IMO, however, I agree with you regarding their improvements. beBee is revamping their writing platform, which I am looking forward to. LinkedIn has made many changes since they were purchased by Microsoft and has become lackluster, IMO. I haven’t been on WP that long to know what it *used* to be.

• Thanks so much for the info about the other platforms, Eugenia.

To give you an idea of the impact of the changes in the last 6 years, I now spend *at least* an additional hour PER post html coding to preserve the format I use to help neurodiverse readers who struggle to stay tracked on text – most of whom need the info I provide in all but the fluff posts like this one.

I stopped engaging with LinkedIn when I noticed that my contacts were the source of the majority of my marketing eglut – FB as well, but not the users, FB itself. I only keep them because my blog autoposts to each. Otherwise, I consider them nothing so much as a distraction, especially as they change as they grow.

The Pinterest changes have their users up in arms as well and I no longer spend much time there either – nor do I get *nearly* as many visits from folks who click through to read.

I don’t understand the [non]thinking of those in charge of online platforms these days. THEY don’t read so they don’t think anybody else wants to either?

Thanks for the info on beBee – once they launch their new writer’s platform I hope you’ll come back and let me know what you think.

10. Yes, these and other similarly infuriating adjustments make me incandescent with rage!

• I often wonder who LIKES their “improvements” – besides the Gremlins, I mean.

11. GP Cox says:

I want dinner first, you’ve got to really romance me before I accept the cookies!

• lol – my thoughts exactly!

12. So many valid issues you raise here. I have never used the new WP editor…it is so frustrating. How is it an improvement ??? Thanks, Madelyn, you can be grumpy for me anytime !!

• I’ve tried the new editor a couple of times – doubles the time it takes to get the job done. But, as I said, the coders don’t blog – CLEARLY – or they would see the problems and, hopefully, fix them! As it is, I think they wait until a certain number of disgruntled bloggers ring in to even go look at any problems they have created with their “improvements.” ::sigh::

I felt much better after grumping until it started to snow! 8 days ’til the first day of spring & we get snow???? ::double sigh::

• Same here…16 inches plus in the forecast. Southeastern PA. Ugh. My trees were budding !

• So sorry to read that. Mother Nature is on a rampage this year. I think she’s mad at what man has done to the environment. 😦

Stay warm (says she, bundled and huddled over a teensy space heater as she responds).

13. P.S. I made caramel G.F. Muffins last week! 🤗 So we can still be friends?

• Oh yeah – especially if you send some my way lol 🙂 I looooove caramel.

• Did you get them? I sent them telepathically!

• I think they arrived but TinkerToy got to them before I did. Thanks anyway.

14. Huh? You lost me after……..but glutton free? You know we can’t be friends no more? (Little Ricki Lake influence) I’ll forward this to my administrator who speaks sufficient blog tech geek…….cheers,H

• I responded that I eat GF to a comment asking me if I wanted a cinnamon bun with my coffee – but I was thinking that went on his blog not here.

• I’ve been making sugar-free, dairy-free & G.F. breakfast biscuits lately & I can eat all of those things. Just makes a nice change. xx

• I’m using Pamela’s GF biscuit “flour” to make cornbread that I’ve been happy to have again. Had to add an extra egg tho’. I also do breakfast burritos (eggs, sausage, rice, black beans – but I can eat cheese too, so I add that – and salsa). I make a bunch (corn tortillas not flour anymore, so they look more like tacos) and freeze to ‘nuke – sometimes even for dinner. Yummie!

15. Capchas…. I say no more. If I was a troll I’d be living in Scandinavia. And folks wonder why they sometimes don’t get ANY comments.

• My thoughts exactly! Long live Akismet.

• I also hate…the wording that comes up first. Prove you are not a robot. How would I be a robot??? DUHHH…. x

• Nuthin’ good about ’em! They are no doubt referring to spam-bots, but I’m sure captcha’s don’t really help keep the dedicated spammers out anyway – they just annoy the rest of us.

• You are so right. I mean a spammer can spam whatever. The ability to click every picture with a road sign on it does not mean you are not a spammer. Eedjits as we say here. Eedjits.

• lol – I just wish they’d go find actual lives and leave ours alone.

16. I always get a nuclear meltdown when I have to do captchas… thanks google… and the google cookies suck too… there is a banner what fills the half of my screen where they want me to accept their cookies…uuuuh… my mama told me never to take cookies from strangers… accept that google…

• Yeah – and you know whatever they do with the information won’t be anything good for US. Midas and his minions – may they all turn to gold – far away from their computers.

Captchas make me crazy too (and some are SO much worse than others!) That’s why I decided to set very stringent spam settings, hoping to avoid having to use them. So far, so good!

17. Lucy Brazier says:

Everyone is allowed to be grumpy once in awhile and Mondays are the perfect days to do it! I think anyone can see that this is a tongue-in-cheek, humorous series, so no attitude adjustment needed.
    I hope WP is paying attention, here! The times I have screamed at the screen when they do some stupid, buggy update and stuff just doesn’t work!!
    Rant over. I feel fabulous now 🙂

• It helps, right? I feel better too.

I’ll feel better still when I climb up the ladder a couple of times to change the clocks near the top of my very tall ceilings. At least my watch, kitchen, bedside and main office clock are on phase with the change. But really – why is this necessary twice every year?!

• Lucy Brazier says:

Has anyone asked daylight if it even wants to be saved? If Jesus saves, can’t he look out for the daylight thing? It really is too confusing 😉

• You are SO funny, Lucy. 🙂

Maybe if Fearful Leader ever succeeds in walling off America we can see if maybe everybody walled in can set it and forget it? We could call it alternative time.

• Lucy Brazier says:

Ha! Alternative time! I love that. In alternative time there would be TWO breakfast times, TWO lunch times, TWO dinner times… I’m liking alternative time already!

• And twice as much time to write, post, market, comment and respond. And TWO cocktail hours. Yep – we need to make it a law.

18. Maria @ MariaHass.blog says:

This is the aspect of blogging that makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Like please, can I just write? That’s all I ask for!

• We preach to the same choir. WordPress, however, seems nowhere in the building.

• Maria – can you come back and leave a link to your blog? I tried to visit, but there are many returns for “Maria Hass” — I doubt you are the Viennese one on Wikipedia 🙂 — and google won’t let me search for “MariaHass” – it keeps inserting the space. Thanks!

• Maria @ MariaHass.blog says: