Friday Fun: Diet Dilemmas

Wrestling with weight?
Since nobody really likes dieting …
Let’s laugh the whole thing off

from the Friday Funnies Series

Quick Intro before we get to the Funnies

A hop around the internet will tell you that many of us online are obsessed with how much we weigh. And nobody seems any too happy about it either – except, of course, people who make their living selling diet food, diet tips, exercise videos and workout gear.

Baby weight, winter poundage, the freshman fifteen, mid-life creep, post-surgery weight gain, medication side-effects – it seems that many of us in first world nations are fighting fat.

At the other end of the scale are people – mostly women, but men too – who are trying valiantly to gain weight, and none too happy about the “anorexic” comments that heavier humans sling around.

But let’s put all that aside for now, and take a moment to lighten up
(no pun intended).

A quick warm-up

The more you weigh,
the harder you are to kidnap.
Stay safe. Eat cake.
~~~~~

Did you lose your appetite?
I think I have it.
~~~~~

Sausages, cheese and the like are all fattening —
unless impaled on frilled toothpicks.
The insertion of a sharp object
allows the calories to leak out the bottom.
~~~~

The toughest part of a diet isn’t watching what you eat.
It’s watching what other people eat.
~~~~~

Find More at: Funny Diet Jokes

So let’s move on to temper our diet frustrations with a quick hit of visual humor.
How many of the situations below make YOU nod your head?

YOU PLAY TOO

If you have something on your website or blog that relates to the theme, especially if it’s humorous, please feel free to leave a link in a comment. Keep it to one link per comment or you’ll be auto-spammed, but multiple comments are just fine and most welcome.

AND NOW for some more humor TODAY . . .

This Friday’s theme: Diet Dilemmas

(all images below found on Pinterest)

Animal obsession . . .

Or not . . .

Diet Basics

Tough choices?

Watch what you eat

Watch where you eat

Did you hear about the gourmet who avoids unfashionable restaurants
because he doesn’t want to gain weight in the wrong places?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And WHEN you eat – or drink

And, especially, who ya’ hang with

Perspective: NO explanation needed

Th-th-th-at’s all folks!
SEE YOU NEXT TIME

Funnies post only occasionally

Reminding you of what I disclosed in the introduction to this series, Funnies about Perspective: unlike the ongoing Sunday Smiles and Monday Funnies you’ll find on Chris The Story Reading Ape’s Blog, my Friday Funnies will show up only occasionally, usually clustered around a theme.

If things seem to have gotten a tad serious in the world – or on ADDandSoMuchMORE.com – get ready for another hit of humor, most likely another Friday Funny.

And don’t forget: Group Coaching will be starting soon.

This low-cost format is designed especially to support anyone who would like a bit of professional coaching when money is tight.

Click HERE to read all about it, and HERE to grab your seat while there’s still room!

Related Articles & Funnies ’round the net

97 Responses to Friday Fun: Diet Dilemmas

1. Pingback: Friday Fun: Writers Redux | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

2. reocochran says:

Humor sometimes helped but in the end, exercise and diet lowered my cholesterol. 🙂 This had a great selection of funnies to do with diet and weight loss, Madelyn. xo 🙂

• If you are anything like me, Robin, the humor helped you stick with and get through the exercise and diet! 🙂 Again, congrats.

• reocochran says:

Thank you for your congrats, Madelyn. I did feel laughing and finding the younger teachers to hang out and dance with were fun outlets. 🙂

• And GREAT motivation.

3. reocochran says:

In my forties I had to either go on anti- cholesterol meds or lose forty-five pounds. I used the veggies and proteins choice and lost twenty in one year, twenty the next year. I eventually lost the last five pounds. 🙂

• Good for you! I can relate to what a hassle it is to change how you eat. I gained 30 pounds in my late 30’s due to a meds side-effect. I’m tall with broad shoulders,so I hid it fairly well, but I didn’t want to carry those pounds for the rest of my life — I knew that if I didn’t get them off ASAP, I probably would. Even at that age and active, it took three dedicated years to get it off again.

As I’m sure you know, veggies & protein (and healthy fat) is the best diet for brain-health too — double win!

• reocochran says:

Oh, I am so grateful for you to share since there are times I “annoy” people by mentioning my diet experience.
        Like you knew that it was not due to vanity. I also appreciate your saying the length of time your experience took, since it isn’t something to rush or it won’t last. I am happy you gave good reasons to try veggies and proteins with healthy fat. Yes, glad you added brain-health! 🙂
        I still try to stay away from sugar and carbs. They are quite a challenge to limit.

• Funny – I never think anything BUT health when somebody mentions losing more than 5 pounds anymore, Robin – at least anybody over 30, anyway. 🙂

I think sugar and carbs will always tug at us, however — especially at holidays. Still, I have cut waaaay back on both, and only triggers cause me to crave them anymore, for the most part (like rows of on-sale Easter chocolate everywhere you look!) 🙂

A GF diet automatically cuts the carbs way back, as well as the empty sugar calories – no more cookies, cakes, pies, bread, etc. unless I want to pay a fortune for GF types that aren’t really that good, or spend more time baking than makes sense with the rest of my life – so most of the carbs I do ingest are the veggie type.

Except for the experience I mentioned, I don’t actually diet and haven’t for decades. I keep tabs on my weight and really pay attention to what I eat when it reaches the upper limit I’ve set for myself for as long as it takes to get the needle going down and into the range I think is healthy (heavier than I was when I was acting and quite thin, but probably a healthy weight for my height). Some research indicates that being thin for your height actually improves longevity, but you are so right that quick loss plans never work long term – and they are really rotten for health (and hard on the heart).

I don’t usually mention “diet” except in terms of brain-health because the entire topic of weight/diets is prickly, as you indicated – even though obesity is extremely rough on the body and leads to all sorts of other health problems (including depression).

I gave up gluten prophylactically after listening to the experts in the first Gluten Summit – so I do have to mention, occasionally, that there are certain things that I don’t/can’t eat, but I really try not talk about it unless I am in a situation where I am asked directly — or someone discloses ill-health symptoms that I know from my research would be helped by going 100% GF. How could I not?

I have been researching the latest on gluten for a brain-based post during Celiac Awareness Month (May) and it will be interesting to see how that is received, if I actually have time to draft it and get it up.

• reocochran says:

Life is busy for me, I can imagine how pulled you are and believe me, I think you are writing about valuable subjects and have the knowledge to share, Madelyn. Good night! I rise early for my basic job but love how blogging helps fill my mind. Thank you for the friendly interaction. xo Robin

• Sweet dreams. My puppy Tink and I won’t last much longer either, before the Sandman calls us to bed.

4. Pingback: Friday Fun: Fashion and Shopping | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

5. Pingback: Friday Fun: One for the Writers | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

6. Pingback: Friday Fun: Exercise and Diet | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

7. Pingback: Friday Fun: Napland! | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

8. lwbut says:

Loved them all Madelyn! – but the last is probably my fave. 🙂

I love the quote i’m going to attribute to Garfield: “You know what Diet is don’t you? – It’s DIE with a ‘t’!

Here’s one back for you… https://au.pinterest.com/pin/566398090608239800/

love.

• lol – every once in a while I have to put the blog on a diet – a bit of fluff to balance the more serious posts (but even on the fluffy posts, I’m still me -lol) Now I’ve gotta’ check out your link.

• Funny cat meme. I laughed aloud a couple of times. Thanks.

So lol! You’ve got it all covered here Madelyn. I’ve heard them all, but seeing all the funnies in one place was delicious. Oh, did I just gain weight? 🙂 xo

• Are you already back? That was a quick vacation, if so (or maybe I’ve been so busy I lost track of time).

btw- my book club chose The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It just came in yesterday – and BOY am I sorry. I have a week to find the time to read a dictionary sized book! I hope I find it fascinating.

• dgkaye says:

Lol Madelyn, you said it, 2 weeks flew by. Yes, I got back Monday night, now trying to sort out my work life and zillions of flagged to do’s from emails as the internet was not reliable at sea. Doing loads of laundry and getting ready for part 2 of vacay, leaving early next week for a month in Arizona! At least I’ll be able to surf around early mornings and evenings to catch some blogs and keep up with things so I don’t come back to a pile up, lol. 🙂 xoxo

• Welcome home (for a minute!). Given the backlog that always mounts when we take a break, it sounds like Arizona will be the vacation from your vacation. Have a relaxing time.

• dgkaye says:

Lol, so scary that you actually know me. Thanks so much girlfriend! :)m ❤

• dgkaye says:

Oh, forgot to say, LOL, I know how big that book is! I bought it last summer in hard cover, it weighs a ton and still intimidated to read it because of how big it is, lol. It’s not a book to take on vacay with weight restrictions, nor is it convenient for reading in bed, LOL. 🙂 ❤

• The one I checked out is hard cover, so I know JUST what you mean. I have a comprehensive dictionary that is smaller and lighter-weight. Amazing she got an editor to tackle the project.

My friend check out the large print version and OMG.- commensurate with New York City phone book!!

• dgkaye says:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 🙂 🙂

10. Hilarious! But why do I have to get it on someone else’s site, not yours?

• I don’t know – maybe you missed it when I posted? No matter, you are here now – and I hope it gave you a chuckle or two.

• Don’t take me seriously! Are taking me seriously? I am from Odessa! You are not supposed to take me seriously when I pull your tail!

• Of course I take you seriously – I just don’t always believe you are being serious. 🙂

• I am not! I have a license not to be – I am from Odessa!

• I think I may adopt your native city. I want a license too!

• You have to get an infusion of Odessa blood. Have you read Babel’s Odessa Stories?

• No, but if YOU suggest I read them, I’ll add them to my ever-lengthening reading list. 🙂

• Absolutely – you will enjoy them!

• ON the list they go. Thank you for the recommendation.

• My pleasure – enjoy!

11. daisymae2017 says:

I am thankful for this post. It made me laugh. The funnies or comics you got from Pininterest, were actually funny. I used to be on a diet but when I would only lose 2 pounds weekly if that, I just gave up and decided if I’m going to lose I will. I’m fine with how I look.

• Really, it’s about health. As long as we keep weight within reasonable limits, you are absolutely right – appearance is surely secondary! Just so you know, the more slowly we lose weight, the more likely we are to keep it off. The reverse also seems to be true too, unfortunately, so keeping it off as we age is most important.

Thanks so much for reblogging, Crystal.

12. daisymae2017 says:

Reblogged this on COUNTRY LIVING and commented:
    Cute post. The funnies are good too. I suggest everyone read this post.

• Thanks so much, DaisyCrystal. I was happy to read that you got in touch with WordPress and that they helped you solve your problem. Onward!

13. mistermuse says:

I think they are all funny (especially the last three) — though I’ll admit I might not think so if I were ______ (insert PC word for FAT). 🙂

• I was surprised how many fat jokes I found, actually – and very few skinny. What does that say about us as a people?

14. akiwifreund says:

I think I’m on the wrong planet all of the time – and only sometimes because of my weight! ❤

• I am SO with you on that thought!

15. Reblogged this on Kate McClelland and commented:
    Hahahaha nodding my head as I type :0)

• Some of these were funny right away, and a few got funnier as they simmered. So glad you enjoyed them too – and THANKS for sharing with your readers.

• You’re welcome Madelyn :0)

16. Tina Frisco says:

These had me rolling on the floor, Madelyn! I love the mirror inside the frig. Ingenious 🙂

• Yeah, it was funny, but not very practical for my own use (well, maybe I considered it for a nanosecond). I’d shatter the darned thing reaching for something yummie behind it – with my eyes closed. 🙂

17. paulandruss says:

Greatcollection of laughs Madelyn.Thanks

• Thank YOU for jumping over to read and taking the time to let me know that you did.

• paulandruss says:

Pleasure was all mine

18. Great comics. So many belly laughs.

• Thanks. So wonderful to hear that others share my sense of humor.

• Humor is so important. Its fun learning how we use it. We like laughing, especially at ourselves. After long careers in difficult fields we value being able to step back and take a lighter approach.

• Oh Tom – if, over the last few years, I hadn’t stepped back from the edge to laugh I’d surely have gone over it! That’s why I pepper the lighter stuff among the more “serious” here on ADDandSoMuchMORE.com. SANITY savers. Thanks for ringing in.

• Well we are glad you didn’t go over the edge and can bring perspective to it all. Keep posting and we’ll keep reading.

• How kind of you to say – thank you. The trick, always, is finding some bizarre balance – that line where hardly enough seems like too much if you take another scooch forward. I appreciate your reading, and the time you take to comment. Sincerely.

• It sometimes comes when you least expect it, lol. Be safe and remember we can’t save the world but we can save one person at a time with our helping hands nd hearts.

• Your comment reminds me of the story about the woman on the shore at low-tide, tossing starfish back into the ocean. A man comes upon her, shaking his head, claiming that her task was unlikely to make much of a difference.

Woman: as she tosses yet another starfish back into the sea, “Made a difference to that one.”

• LOL. Isn’t this the truth!!!!! One at a time and to that one its a lifetime.

• Absolutely – and literally!

• Love it. You are making a difference Madelyn and we sure enjoy your gifts.

• How dear of you to say. Thank you.

• You are welcome. It is just the truth.

• KISSES!

19. Thanks for all the funnies. Ha ha. Great laughs, Madelyn. 🙂

• Glad to read you enjoyed reading [almost] as much as I enjoyed putting it together. Thanks for letting me know.

20. Hilarious and funny!! Love the little cartoons! I wrote an semi-humorous blog post on the New York City MTA Forced Exercise program. MTA Enforced Exercise Program

• Thanks – I’ll check it out.
      ~~~~~
      UPDATE: Did, and left a longer comment there. Would you believe that, out here in “the hinterlands,” I actually miss subways?

21. 😀 😀 😛 Here’s to an entertaining morning. Love these. 🙂

• Thank you – they gave me more than a few grins too. Gotta’ do what we can to stay positive these days. Thanks for the visit, and for taking time to comment.

22. Chuck says:

Hi Madelyn,
    This is truly funny, unfortunately it is also horribly true. AND…the older you get the harder it is to lose weight. The 30 pounds I lost three years ago when going through chemo, I have put back on and then some. Oh well, but I’m cancer free for now and happy.

• Congratulations, Chuck. I’m a cancer survivor as well – and it really is true what they say about the prime importance of health. In the end, if you don’t have that, it barely matters WHAT you weigh.

Thanks for wandering by, sniffing and leaving a trail (as my guest-blogging pup prefers to think of it).

These are all hilarious. I love the last one. Thank you for the chuckles.

• My more serious side couldn’t resist ending with that one – one of my particular favs as well. Tho’ I laughed hardest at the one about Mary.

24. Brilliant😅😅

• Thanks, Jo. If I could draw at all I might have been a cartoonist – and the world would have been spared hundreds of thousands of words. 🙂

25. Bernadette says:

They are all funny but the last one is a humdinger.

• Yeah, well, like I said, “no comment necessary.”

26. GP Cox says:

Hysterical doesn’t even come close to describing this post!!!!

• Thanks GP – a hearty laugh from at least one of them. I laughed at MOST of them.

• GP Cox says:

I think 75% of them applied to me at some time in my life!!

• Probably most to me as well, actually. Maybe that’s why they caught my eye. Thank goodness I find them funny and not miserably sad. 🙂

27. These were fun. We need more of that every day.

And on a local bakery, a sign read “Skinny people are harder to kidnap…eat cake.” Thanks for the laughs.

• Thank you. Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment (said she, turning back to her cake).

28. I love the thought that the more I weigh the harder I am to kidnap! Really, who would want to kidnap me? (Not a challenge…..)😂

• There’s some kidnapper for everybody, Helen. 🙂 Keep the weight up!

• LOL!

29. Mary Smith says:

Loved these – especially the Momin saying eating a salad is a signal he’s been kidnapped! Thanks for a good giggle on a grey day – we’re shrouded in fog this morning!

• Thanks Mary. That was my second favorite – first was the one about Mary behind closed curtains.

Not sure what this day will bring – still dark here at 5:15 AM. (No, not still up, for once – I took a “nap” earlier last evening and just woke up, quite a few hours later.) 🙂

30. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    If you would like to see the funny side of dieting but also find some links that might give you a helping hand.. head over to Madelyn Griffith-Haynie and laughing does use calories and excercises all the muscles in your face…

• Thanks so much for sharing, Sally. GREAT intro too. 🙂

31. Anisha says:

this was just brilliant….still can’t stop laughing 😀

• Thanks, Anisha. I thought it was time for a bit of levity, given the political landscape. Thanks for ringing in.