Censorship in America – *Actual* Facts

Please don’t make me do this!
TRY to behave yourself, okay?

from the What Kind of World do YOU Want? Series

Except for issues impacting Mental Health, this is NOT a political blog – and I do not want it to become one.

Although I am the linking queen, I rarely reblog either.

The “jump around the ‘net to read it all” format is really not great for readers with attentional issues and other struggles with Executive Functioning — even before I factor in the particular format that the WordPress Fairies believe is just hunky-dory.

I truly resent feeling forced to do either, just because a certain man/child believes he can get away with whatever he wants and the American public will say little about it.

And yet, here I am, just about to do both.

How Come?

If not us, WHO?

I’m breaking two of my own “rules” because I truly believe that if each of us is not willing to stand up against censorship – immediately and firmly – we are putting our own ability to communicate freely on this very blogging platform in jeopardy.

So, at the risk of disharmony at home, I’ve rescheduled TinkerToy‘s Guest Blog telling you all about his BIG news to be able to bring you my version of a Public Service Announcement.

The political cartoons are a few spoons full of sugar,
hoping to make the medicine go down just a bit easier.

It’s worse than you thought. PLEASE SHARE!
Posted on January 29, 2017 by luckyotter

Source says: PLEASE SHARE! Sharing with permission.

From an Environmental Protection Agency staffer.

“So I work at the EPA and yeah it’s as bad as you are hearing: The entire agency is under lockdown, the website, facebook, twitter, you name it is static and can’t be updated. All reports, findings, permits and studies are frozen and not to be released. No presentations or meetings with outside groups are to be scheduled.

Any Press contacting us are to be directed to the Press Office which is also silenced and will give no response.

All grants and contracts are frozen, from the contractors working on Superfund sites to grad school students working on their thesis.

We are still doing our work, writing reports, doing cancer modeling for pesticides hoping that this is temporary and we will be able to serve the public soon.

But many of us are worried about an ideologically-fueled purging and if you use any federal data I advise you gather what you can now.

We have been told the website is being reworked to reflect the new administration’s policy.

Feel free to copy and paste, you all pay for the government and you should know what’s going on.

I am posting this as a fellow citizen and not in any sort of official capacity.”

Source: It’s worse than you thought. PLEASE SHARE! | Lucky Otters Haven

What Can We DO?

Reblog, follow those on the front lines and tweet in support!

Bruce Plante Cartoon – TulsaWorld

The National Park Service launched an ambitious attempt at defending itself against the censorship of our current infant in charge.

After he temporarily took away their Twitter privileges and then later forced them to delete factual tweets about climate change, the NPS launched its own unofficial Twitter account which he, supposedly, can’t touch.

And shortly thereafter, the EPA joined the NPS in going rogue online.

EPA employees, whose identities must remain anonymous in order to make sure there will be fewer punishments or firings, are now posting under the Twitter username @ActualEPAFacts — and the account is quickly gaining popularity

• The rogue Twitter account began with the announcement that [mgh tries her best not to use his name] forced us to remove this page” along with a link to a now-deleted climate change article on the epa.gov website.
  • The account has since gone on to make the case as to why his nominee Scott Pruitt, who pretends climate change isn’t real, is unfit to lead the agency.
  • There have been reports that anonymous EPA employees were leaking Pruitt’s every secret move to the media in the hope that the public would become outraged enough to fight back — which now is beginning to happen.
  • The rest of the unofficial EPA account on Twitter consists of links to useful climate change and environmental news, as well as the ongoing documentation of both the Orange-man’s and Pruitt’s attempts at dismantling the agency from within.

Source: EPA goes rogue, launches unofficial Twitter account that
[he who shall not be named] can’t censor

As they say in the theatre – Sing Out, Louise!

The follower stats are climbing steadily –
go add your follow if you use that platform.

If not NOW, when?

Oh – and be sure to sprinkle anything you read on a government site
with a YUGE shaker of salt.

Other supports for this article – on ADDandSoMuchMore.com

A Few LinkLists by Category (to articles here on ADDandSoMuchMore.com)

Related Content & ’round the net

82 Responses to Censorship in America – *Actual* Facts

1. This is fantastic- we need to keep the truth alive

• ABSOLUTELY! I’ve got an article auto-posting shortly after midnight (NYC time) that will begin to explain why many still resist facts however – about what science has to say about why we humans hate to change our minds.

2. Reblogged this on LibDem Fischer.

• Thank you SO much, Christoph – I truly appreciate all support, but especially everyone who agrees we must stand up against censorship. PERIOD!

3. MindBody says:

Hi Madelyn,
    In the end any discussion that relates to health issues is going to have political undertones- whether it is vaccines, pharmaceuticals or alternative/ complementary medicine.

The issue that I brought up re the reliability of information applies right across all these platforms.

A small, example- for about 15 yars I have had major issues with right neck and shoulder myofascial pain, and have spent thousands on various therapies. Finally I stuck my neck out and have started “hyperbaric oxygen” at a very reasonable price. It was clear on the first treatment that this is going to be valuable, but most of my profession have never heard of it, and some even call it quackery. My reaction has been “Why haven’t I heard about this before?”

So there is a big issue with information control, and there are vested interest groups who intend to see it stay that way.

I tried posting a link- but your spam police blocked it- so I will give you the title of the talk. It is on You Tube- only lasts about 10 minutes:
    Astroturf and manipulation of media messages | Sharyl Attkisson | TEDxUniversityofNevada

That is a brief summary of the problem. There is much wider discussion of it on the web, and we all need to be able to know how to make sense of what we are reading.

• Sorry to hear about your shoulder (and all that money – yikes!) – but glad you tripped across the benefits of hyperbaric oxygen. Why not? Part of the problem sees always to be what you call “info control” – but part of it is also that there is just so darned MUCH info these days, as time seems to shrink day by day. But the “quackery” comments come from either ignorance or confirmation bias/cognitive dissonance, IMHO.

Sorry that the spam-squad blocked your link – blame the damned link spammers. Had to tighten my parameters (but usually ONE gets through, so maybe it was yet another WordPress gremlin thing). I’ve had trouble posting comments first time at bat for a couple of days now. I copy the comment, then refresh the page and try again. If THAT doesn’t do it, I sometimes have to reload my browser, and can’t always spare the time and distraction.

I’ll see if I can locate the TED talk – thanks!

4. Simply-Me says:

It’s sad to see the way the things are moving today, however Madelyn thank you for highlighting this and bringing it to our attention.

• You’re welcome. I read today that, along with the ACLU, several states are moving forward with lawsuits against this administration, so not everyone is laying down, playing dead and accepting his nonsense without a fight!

• Simply-Me says:

Well done to them and I hope they win.

Thank you.

• AND that a great many more people see the publicity and come over to the side of rights.

• Simply-Me says:

👍🏼

5. I am so afraid for the future of our planet, and for democracy in the USA. You are right that this is the time to speak, and loudly, before the forces at work succeed in forcing silence.

• Many of us are fearful now, unfortunately. And you’re right – we have to speak up and speak out – NOW!

I appreciate the visit and the supportive comment. Thanks!

6. cindy knoke says:

Freaking horrifying!

• Yes, he is!

7. adeleulnais says:

Reblogged this on firefly465.

• Thank you SO much, Adele, for helping to spread the word. We’ll need an army to out shout the orange menace — for some time, I fear. I don’t kid myself that it will make any difference in this blatant Narcissist’s actions, however.

What it can and will do is give his Congressional colleagues pause — hopefully encouraging them to retract their support and vote against his efforts. After all, they come up for re-election, too – many in only 2 years.

• adeleulnais says:

The more we spread the word x

• And inundate Senators and Congressmen – reminding them that if Agent Orange is not popular, they won’t be either if they don’t step up and out-vote.

• You are right about the importance of the 2018 elections, mgh. And I think that the DNC getting their act together by then, is critical. If they keep on moaning about HRC winning the popular vote, we won’t have any hope come 2020.

On the other hand, this wake-up call has people not only contacting their congress-people but visiting them, in groups. Doing their homework about past and upcoming votes! If that momentum continues, preferably for a generation, we might be better off than before the current president came along.

• LOVE the thought, but it’s a huge IF on a lot of fronts.

I’m seeing a great deal of apathy still from the kids — except for the jocks, who seem to be supporters of chest beating and finger pointing (no big surprise there). Few others seem to be standing up to stupid comments – nothing new there either. (I live in an area surrounded by colleges, and Tink’s Cheers bar is a multi-generational hang)

I hope they’ll get the chance to grow older and wiser. Hope we ALL will.

8. adeleulnais says:

I think you were correct to post this. It is not the only case of suddenly pages being banned and accounts being frozen I’ve heard but to do this to scientists who are working for climate change. This is off the scale, it frightens me so much that I worry at nights.

• Information from both sides of that issue has been suppressed – it would insult my intelligence if it weren’t so overtly self-serving and “market” driven. Follow the money!

Censorship is morally corrupt and those who do so are rotten to the core. I can barely get to sleep myself these days, worrying about what fresh hell tomorrow’s news will bring – no matter how much I attempt to focus on the positive, as the “Secret” folks insist we must.

• adeleulnais says:

the people will take back their power, I believe that and in these days of internet power surely they can do it with the help of people from all over the world. x

• From your lips to God’s ears, Adele. There are still a great many who are avid supporters here in the USA – I’m counting on the world!

• MindBody says:

When you see a good page on a topic that may be controversial– make sure that you download and cache a copy of it.

• EXCELLENT advice in today’s tenuous environment – he seems to have NO respect for any ideas but his own.

• MindBody says:

Im also beginning to think that it is time we all became more familiar with the dark web and encryption.

• ::groan:: more tech to master – but probably wise.

• adeleulnais says:

Will do thank you.

9. seenu625 says:

Thanks for the wonderful way you put it.

• What a nice compliment. Thank you.

• seenu625 says:

Always welcome.

10. Reblogged this on Little Lord Oscar Dandelion Books.

• GRRRRRRRRR! My comment notification dropdown has stopped working (spinning wheel forever but no notifications), so I have been unable to approve comments this evening. WTF! Don’t they EVER test before unleashing their “improvements”???????

SO sorry you’ve been languishing while I’ve been trying to “fix” what is obviously something wrong on the WordPress Platform. I’ve done everything I can on my end. What a waste of a life!

In any case, I finally went “backstage” and found your reblog notice (but no way to see responses to comments left earlier on other blogs). Thank you SO much for spreading the word about this travesty. If the world can and will only keep up the censure, perhaps this diagnostic Narcissist will implode when he can’t get the approval he so desperately craves.

God bless you for passing it on.
      MUCH love and appreciation – xx, mgh

• Oh the Technological Age! :/
        I’m glad you got it sorted out now 🙂 xo

• Yeah. The worst thing that happens with books is that the pages stick together! 🙂

• 😀 hehe

11. Good post Madelyn!

• Thanks, Kate. Always a struggle to find the line between standing up for what I believe is right and keeping ADDandSoMuchMORE.com marginally “on topic.”

• I hope *everyone* will read this one — but then, I guess I hope that about everything I post – but this time I REALLY mean it! Thanks for spreading the word to your readers.

• ;0)

13. Wendy says:

As you know, I haven’t been up to reading blogs recently and have barely gotten around to any. I’ll look at my Reader now and then.
    I’m sorry I haven’t been here.

It’s worse than I thought it would be so fast. Does the man not rest? He just keeps going, making things worse.

• Please don’t feel you must apologize, Wendy. I love to see you *whenever* you are up to visiting. I GET it (more than you know). I’m not really keeping up anymore myself – especially now that it seems that everyone and their cats are jumping on one of the “post every day” challenges (or more ::groan::).

As I’ve commented on your fine blog, I prefer longer pieces with some meat on their bones – which is simply not possible to do every single day and have any sort of an off-screen life. Since I never know what I’ll find until I click, the screen refresh time alone has eaten into the time available to read what I believe is MUCH more interesting.

Re: Agent Orange — A few blogs I follow believe that is his strategy – to wear out all resistance by scattering our focus until we are too overwhelmed to keep it up, doing his worst when our attention is distracted (like an on-stage magician)

No doubt he has minions paid a fortune to do his bidding in his name. The very essence of narcissism (and Corporate Capitalism) – and we are ALL paying the price. Will be for years to come, I fear.

Feel better, my dear friend.

Grr, how to end my day. You know what this reminds me of?????? Orwell’s 1984 which I’m currently reading because it didn’t sink in as a reality when I read it 40 years ago! ‘Erase the past, the future is a lie’ 😦 xo

• You were expecting, perhaps, a MONDAY Grump? Sorry. As I told Christoph, since I’ve been grumping midweek about the political mishegas in the US of late, I thought I’d give everybody a break this Monday. 🙂

I posted the Mental Health Awareness calendar for February instead.

I have been having 1984 nightmares of late myself! Prescient, yes? Instead of thought-crime per se, it’s now twitter crime!

• dgkaye says:

Love to say LOL, but really it’s frightening. United we stand. ❤

• Absolutely – as Benjamin Franklin is oft quoted, “If we don’t hand together we will most certainly hang separately.”

LOVED your Shey interview, btw.

• dgkaye says:

Thanks so much, yes, just replied to your comment. And Ben is so right too. 🙂 ❤

• Always was – just ask him. 🙂

• dgkaye says:

🙂 ❤

15. Here’s an article that I’ve been sending to people I know. It explains a lot (everything). Warning: it is long.
    Here’s What’s Psychologically wrong with our current president

• Thanks – I’ll probably wait to check it out when I’ve got a bit more time. I have already been stunned by the overlap with the DSM criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder. You need 5 to “qualify” – and he hits almost every single one.

Here’s a long one for you that will give you nightmares: The Data that Turned the World Upside Down — its information I have seen nowhere else.

• Yikes. That’s beyond what even Orwell could imagine.

• Second response for delayed2sleep
      ~~~~~~~~~
      YEP! NPD.

I was particularly struck by the “How to Get Rid of One” section – and I wish I were as confident as the author when he says:

“I am actually expecting Trump to flame out fairly soon … because he is revealing that his condition makes him unable to deal with losing the popular vote, drawing a small inaugural audience, being mocked by SNL or greeted with protests wherever he goes.  The media are beginning to talk openly about his mental illness; how will he handle that?”

I believe our fearful leader has a fairly strong mechanism to cope with the need for “narcissistic supply” (copied below) — i.e., he actually seems to be able to rapidly convince himself that his “alternative facts” are the reality of any situation.

I also see far less “buyers remorse” than expected. Unfortunately, far too many folks seem to believe his version, most likely a way to rebalance cognitive dissonance.

“. . . need for “narcissistic supply” – feelings of being significant, important and adored – overrides all other considerations, including empathy and all the human norms that arise from it, because their delusion is to equate narcissistic supply with survival—same as a drowning victim might drown their rescuer.  Some narcissists, having flashes of realism as some of them sometimes do, have described narcissistic supply as a far stronger addiction than heroin.

VERY scary that this man actually got himself elected, and it does not bode well for America — or the world.

16. Zara says:

Another great post. We need to be heard. We need to keep speaking up. We need to stand together. There have been many peaceful marches and demonstrations already and I think there will be more to come.

• Thanks, Zara, I certainly hope so. Those at the top may be thinking they will wait us out. that we will give up or “get over it” – so we have to remain in action to make our points clearly. I hope we are ALL in for the long haul.

Unfortunately, this has and does work both ways. The censorship of scientists whose work refuted or questioned global warming was horrible – they were prevented from publishing, bullied in public forums, etc. The latest data from IPCC, UNEP, WMO, UNFCCC, and UNDP. -pick your initials – has been shown to have been manipulated. The whole field has become a political morass. My mantra has been follow the money – there’s tons of money – UN, taxpayer, and George Soros – money in supporting global warming. And scientists are willing to manipulate data to get it.

• Yeah, I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with the science field – for exactly the reasons you cite: money and reputation guarding, bringing shame to the field as a whole. And the old-guard at the gates of the journals? Disgraceful!

It’s impossible to remain evidence-based when the data is skewed – and it seems that whenever money is involved data is more likely to be manipulated than not – even if only in sample bias or study design.

It gets even worse when funding dries up.

The Bush administration was horribly anti-science. We barely recovered with Obama, and now things are looking fairly dismal once again.

Truly, I have very little respect for politics (and most politicians).

• noelleg44 says:

I have come to have less respect for scientists, even in my own field. I once told a colleague (I thought he was) about a study I was doing. He rushed back to the lab, did a quick and dirty study of the same thing and published first. True, science funding has become harder and harder to get – I was so glad when I wrote my last grant. We have more researchers now than we had even ten years ago, so the competition is greater – and the dog eat dog rule seems to apply. I will say that I was a grants reviewer for NIH twice – they send you the grants and I had 35 to review in about 90 days! – and the discusions were fair when I attended.

• I wish I could say that I can hardly believe the actions of that fellow “scientist.” Unfortunately, I have been similarly dismayed by the actions of some of my fellow coaches: including plagiarism (ideas, terms and exact wordage included – with zero attribution).

I was once sent an email by one of my students about “an idea that I might be interested in” that was word-for-word, content from my manual. Another time I found one of my client-only Inventories for sale online, with a photo where my “copyright box” was *clearly* visible and easily readable. The host of the site was anonymous, so I didn’t even know how to go after them, tho’ I did send an email telling them it was mine, they had NO permission to sell it, and asking them how they came across it. They quickly took it down, btw, but I don’t kid myself that they stopped that nonsense.

The competition that has cropped up in most fields makes me physically ill, and I find the money grubbing appalling! It’s not just science – although it is especially daunting to learn of it in that arena.

I gave up so much personally to found the ADD Coaching field (including financial), that when I see what’s going on currently, I tend to feel like I imagine a parent would feel if their kids turned out to be a thieves (or politicians – lol)!

It’s good to read that NIH reviews were fair – if practically impossibly difficult for the reviewers – at least during the years when you were involved.

What’s happening in our world?

18. mistermuse says:

Well, at least The Donald has fear-mongering down to a science, so no one can say he’s entirely against scientific principles.

• Lol, especially true re: how very much he is not against data mining and metrics.

JUST read a l-o-n-g article, well-supported and not intentionally incendiary [The Data that Turned the World Upside Down] – a reblog from DermottHayes.com (Postcard from a Pigeon) — and commented to Dermott:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      O. M. G. – this might be the most frightening thing I have read since 1984 (the book, not the year!). Thank you for the reblog. Although I’ll no doubt have nightmares tonight, I’d always rather be informed. I now have yet ANOTHER reason to dislike (and avoid) FaceBook.
      ~~~~~~~~~~

History in the making – and the world has changed FOREVER. Can’t put the genie back in the bottle now. Go take a look.

• mistermuse says:

Fascinating article (The Data that Turned the World Upside Down). It seems that Trump would have to ruin this country (which is entirely possible) before those who voted for him come to their senses — and even then, I suspect many of them would rather choose to go down with the ship.

• I thought you’d be somebody who would read with interest! The implications are chilling, yes?

If what you say turns out to be true, a whole lotta’ people gonna’ drown as somebody spins the “alternative facts” from the bow above the water.

Cognitive Dissonance is a very strong tractor beam (I *must* find time to finish the draft of the NEW article about it’s link to politics – and publish!!!)

• MindBody says:

That’s troubling.

• MORE than!

19. omtatjuan3 says:

Alternative Facts? Shhh it’s called lying… Resist is my new call to arms

• LOTs of memes out there with your perspective. I tried to pick a few that stopped short of actually calling out “Alternate Facts” as lies. After all, “spin” has been around for decades now – only when it got to an extreme level were many people willing to speak out – the point of the article, actually,

Thanks for reading, commenting, and being ready to stand up for truth. May we always have a platform from which to do so.

20. You have nothing to say about the censorship of political correctness that has been going on in our high schools, colleges and media?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MGH addition: Wally, check out: The Importance of Trigger Warnings
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those three elements have been shutting down free speech and ideas for decades. Now that we have elected a president who is doing his best to reverse the tide of this type of censorship we, who have been silenced for so long, you wish to complain about censorship?

Too late.

Censorship is not being created by our president, censorship of the most vile kind is being stopped by our president.

But I do thank you for your viewpoints. They must also be yours because you have repeated them here.

And I truly thank you for giving me an opportunity to rebut them.
    Wally

• Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Wally. I SO appreciate the fact that you are able to disagree without being disagreeable. That’s all it takes to have a rebuttal platform in the comment section on this blog. (I don’t seem to attract folks who want to get slimy or simply rant for it’s own sake, thank heaven!)

I agree with you that censorship is odious in all its shades and slices, but I can’t agree that it is too late to complain. I pray that time never comes. I also fail to understand how shutting down total communication from an entire agency is “stopping” censorship.

Censorship has been rearing its ugly head for a very long time, you are so right about that, and I certainly never meant to imply that our president “created” it, but when censorship comes from the very top and is likely to infect the entire country, I must speak up (even tho’ – as I said – I don’t intend to host a political blog).

21. colinandray says:

That certainly highlights the truth………… or is it just perhaps an alternative truth! 🙂 🙂

• Well – perception is all, they say. But is perception *truth?* For one, perhaps, but still not “factual.”
      Ahhhhhhh. . . . 🙂

22. mrs fringe says:

Thank you for posting this. The thing is, these decisions and restrictions impact all of us, whether we’re generally political or not, so imo, we all need to speak up.

xoxo

• I’m thrilled to see a bit of Fringeville over here – THANKS! I agree on the import, and am grateful for the acknowledgment.

I do speak up (and out) – in comments on other blogs as well as this one. And I post an article like this every once in a while, but my readers visit other blogs for those kinds of posts.

Primarily, I speak up for Mental Health and its many battles. As they say, “NO health without mental health.” Comparatively few others speak up about these issues (and offer info as well as support) – so that’s my soapbox.

Censorship, however, cannot be allowed to go unchallenged – or soon none of us will have unrestricted platforms, if we take a look at history – and that is directly relevant to every single blogger on the planet.

• mrs fringe says:

I do understand your focus, and appreciate. Mental Health is still so far from adequate funding, treatment, programs, equality, and yet beyond necessary for all of us. Agreed on not allowing censorship to go unchallenged–whether we have one specific focus or try to address several, this harms all of us if allowed to stand.
        xoxo

• It is also about reach and power. “Get your hand off my plate or I’ll jab you with my fork” 🙂 only works if your hands aren’t bound and your mouth’s not duct taped.

Like camels and noses, there are some things we simply cannot allow in our collective tents.

23. Debbie says:

Brava, Madelyn! Let’s all focus on building up bridges of Unity and Hope and Love.
    yet being aware of the real challenges we face, and supporting each other across the world through these difficult times.

and to MindBody – wow!!!! i mean that is incredible. awful, scary, but not suprising I guess. Yet look how the EPA workers and scientists have found other means – I was very glad to read about this Madelyn, as the main stream media doesnt tell us.

Thanks to you both.

• Few in our mainstream media tell US either, Debbie. They can only say what they know, and their seemingly dogged focus on “balanced reporting” often changes the weighting of fringe elements so it’s difficult to know what to believe.

For ME censorship is like pregnancy — there’s no such thing as “a little bit.” There are appropriate environments and rules I can understand, but to lock down an entire agency over unfavorable tweets is waaaaaay over that boundary.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for us here in the states.

24. MindBody says:

The censorship issue goes well beyond issues like suppressing information from the EPA. There are very aggressive attempts to control Wikipedia, to restrict the topics that can be discussed on Facebook, and to block what should be a serious conversation about the harms associated with vaccines. Information on all these topics is available but you have to dig very hard to get it.

• Thanks for the update/warning – and SO good to see you again!! I have been keeping relatively up on the vaccine nonsense – but did not know about the others.

BTW – I welcome political conversations in the comments – brought up by any of my articles (and will participate in them) – but as I said in the intro, except for issues impacting Mental Health, I am not planning to turn my blog into a political platform.

If *you* want to return with a link, however, you know I will approve it. (keep it to ONE link per comment, or the spam police will get you and I’ll never see it TO approve!)

Welcome back!