Ten Things I Do Not Want in My President

November is too close
to remain silent
Even though this is not a political blog

Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CTP, CMC, ACT, MCC, SCAC
from the What kind of world do you want Series

This is no longer about Trump

I found the following words in an article on the blog of the HopeWorks Community. I was inspired to check out what else they had written on this topic, and I was moved to “reblog” the words that expressed some of my thinking better than I could myself.

The Real Question is about US

“This is no longer about the decency of Donald Trump. If there were lingering doubts the tape recently released should remove [them].

The real question is about us. What have we become? What are we yet to become?

The question is not about whether or not not we are going to be great, but at what point what happened to the idea of us being good?

Do we believe the moral integrity of our leaders is irrelevant to the leadership they provide as long as they give lip service to the policies we support. At what point is enough actually enough — or is it ever?

When do people understand that, “What about Hillary?” is neither explanation or justification for the disgrace that is Donald Trump? When?”                          . . . continue reading Source HERE

About the things I do not want

The words below are not my own either, but they so clearly express much of what I believe, they might as well be.  I changed the order of the points around a bit, but the words are straight from HopeWorks.

Ten Things I Do Not Want in My President

1. I do not want a president who enjoys calling other people names — I don’t want a president who is into shaming other people.
  2. I don’t want a president who thinks woman are cattle, people of color are somehow less worthy and less human, and poor people are lazy.
  3. I don’t want a president without any humility, especially one who thinks humility is a character flaw.
  4. I don’t want a president who thinks he knows all he needs to know and had neither the drive or discipline to learn more.
  5. I don’t want a president whose only conversation is some version of how great he is.
  6. I don’t want a president who has never done anything else other than try to get as rich as he can get and brag about it as loudly and frequently as he can.
  7. I don’t want a person running for president who isn’t at least a little scared and overwhelmed about winning.
  8. I don’t want a president whose skin is so thin he is an easy mark for other people. The person leading the United States cannot be easily provoked.
  9. I don’t want a president who does not value honor more than he does attention and personal gain.
  10. I don’t want a president who would tell this country that hatred and bigotry and racism are okay and make common sense.

Read the rest at the Source: I do not want a president who….. – Hopeworks Community

What kind of world do YOU want?

© 2016, all rights HopeWorks

Related Post: WHEN WILL WE LEARN? #VOTE 2016

As always, if you want notification of new articles in my regular Series – or any new posts on this blog – give your email address to the nice form on the top of the skinny column to the right. (You only have to do this once, so if you’ve already asked for notification about a prior series, you’re covered for this one too). STRICT No Spam Policy

Want to work directly with me? If you’d like some coaching help with anything that came up while you were reading this blog (one-on-one couples or group), click HERE for Brain-based Coaching with mgh, with a contact form at its end (or click the E-me link on the menubar at the top of every page). Fill out the form, submit, and an email SOS is on its way to me; we’ll schedule a call to talk about what you need. I’ll get back to you ASAP (accent on the “P”ossible!)

46 Responses to Ten Things I Do Not Want in My President

1. Pingback: Lousy 21st Century Ideas | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

2. swamiyesudas says:

Very Good, my Dear Madelyn. In our case, in India, we would say politicos, judges and others in positions of authority. All disappointing.

• Wherever we live on this small planet we share, MOST of us want to see decency, honor, a keen sense of fair play, open-minded thinking, integrity, empathy, kindness and generosity in our leaders.

Both “just business” and “just politics” are justifications that we must not tolerate, if we ever want to see a world that works for everyone.

We are all one, and we must begin to behave as if we ARE “our brother’s keepers” – anything less will ultimately tear this planet apart.

• swamiyesudas says:

People, by Resolutely refusing to involve themselves in Social and People’s affairs, (I read that people of Hillary’s party turned out in Poor numbers), and Already helping in Tearing their/Our world apart.

• From a comment by Lloyd Lofthouse:
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          “For this election, more than 50 million new voters registered to vote and most of those new voters registered as Democrats. In 2014, there were about 145 million registered voters and more than 80 percent voted.

For THIS election, more than 200 million were registered to vote, a historical record, but 90 million decided not to vote on election day, also a record breaker, I think.”
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will NEVER understand those registered voters who could not be bothered to go to the polls.

• swamiyesudas says:

And I do suppose it is this group taking to the streets just now. Sad, Sad, Sad. That is why I am not giving a like to this excellent comment of Yours. Regards, my Dear.

• We need another button to indicate appreciation without approval. CRAZY stats, yes?

Definitely. Actually, a whole range of Emoticons! 🙂

• swamiyesudas says:

• I responded on your site already, with the following words:
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for helping to spread this statistic.

Lloyd has since posted two source links (alas, on a comment thread on a site that is not my own, and now I cannot find it.) I did check them out. The numbers of registered non-voters varied, but were still WAY over-the-top and in the millions.

With the percentage of new Democrats registered, it is no stretch to believe that, HAD they bothered to vote, we would not be dealing with a hot-head in a leadership role now.

So: non-voters – the events of the next four years are all ON YOU. Don’t do it again. PLEASE. Every vote counts.

Thanks once again, my Dear Madelyn! 🙂

• You are most welcome, Swami. I’d say “my pleasure” – but it’s more like a responsibility I WISH were not necessary in our sad little world.

Super, my Dear Madelyn! 🙂

• swamiyesudas says:

In one of Our Tamil comedy scenes, a contestent at an election provides ‘Milk,’ to come out of Every tap in the locality.

His opponent, knowing that the male voters were More in number, provides Liquor! Guess who won.

Maybe some college over there should arrange for a grant to research into what had been provided that day. 😦

• They may call them inducements, I call them BRIBES – and they stink, to put it bluntly.

What *really* stinks is how easily so much of the populace can be BRIBED by non-issue “inducements.”

• swamiyesudas says:

Of course, Bribes is the Right word. And surely they stink, to high heaven.

I do not know about the West, but in India, supposedly the largest democracy, Duping and Bribery rule.

I forgot to add that one leader has ‘Filled’ whole acres with… statues of elephants, at the cost of millions! And Nobody raised a word.

Another politico arranges Raunchy delights for his Brainless crowds.

What is being called democracy is a Joke.

• Except that most jokes are intended to make you laugh, and this one inspires tears.

Here in America, most bribes are “legitimized” as campaign contributions and mutual back-scratching with the opportunity for personal profit from legislation enacted through cronyism.

DT may not insist on elephant statues – but his insistence on appropriating funds for walling off our southern borders amounts to the same thing.

• swamiyesudas says:

Very Well said, my Dear Madelyn! …Beyond that, I have run out of words. Don’t know what more to say.

• G’nite then, my dear friend. 🙂

Good Night, my Dear Madelyn! Sleep Well! 🙂

3. swamiyesudas says:

Reblogged this on lovehappinessandpeace and commented:
    *******

The question is whether we have any decency.

That is a quote from the original article.

*******

• WOW, Swami. I am touched (and honored) that you chose to reblog this post — all the way from India! Thank you SO much.

• swamiyesudas says:

India, called Ancient, and even the Home of Culture (at one time) perhaps, is almost the opposite now.

We need Much reminders to return to Sanity, too! 🙂

• The world is tilted on its axis, wobbling. It will take ALL of us to right it again.

• swamiyesudas says:

Yeah, and You have put it Very Well, (as usual), my Dear Madelyn. Just to relieve the madness, if I may joke: I am going into Training right now! 🙂

4. Pingback: Can you hear them NOW? | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

5. Mira Prabhu says:

Madelyn, thanks!!! Its been a grueling time and I still cannot believe all the terrible stuff that has been revealed…I shared your post on my pages, Om!

• Thank you, my friend – and thank you for letting me know. I have not gotten notifications from WordPress about it.

I just double checked to make sure I’m still following – and it said that I was not, so I would not have known. This has happened on a couple of sites – and there is one I keep clicking “follow” and the very next day it’s gone again.

She comments, etc., so I don’t think it’s anything she’s doing at her end – if it’s even possible to “delete” followers.

In any case, I clicked follow from your site this time – let’s see if it sticks.

6. P. C. Zick says:

Very succinctly stated and I agree 100 percent. I hope we can weather the storm.

• My hope is that the storm will wear itself out like a down-graded hurricane, so that we don’t have to weather it! Four years is a long time. I shudder to think what that much unbridled anger could do to America’s relationship with the rest of the world – and the results that will follow.

Thanks for popping over to give it a read. I hope my readers will click the link at the end and read what your article has to say – especially anyone who is still on the fence.

7. Eriously hope he doesn’t become your next President. Even down here in Australia we don’t want him in power.

• Thanks so much for ringing in with support. Except for Russia, or so it seems, most of the world is shaking or laughing, holding their collective breath, wondering if America has lost it’s collective mind.

I believe it is actually *dangerous* to have an impulsive with anger issues in the White House – and I am afraid – for myself and for the world.

• Move down under!

• Nice dream, but moving expenses? Then making a living? Oh yeah, and MOVING! 🙂

8. Wendy says:

Those could have been my words too. I want a president I can respect.

We all need to think about the other elections too, not just the race for presidency.

• ABSOLUTELY!

If our politicians have learned nothing else from this circus, I hope they now realize that Americans are fed up with the results of cronyism and collusion – in large enough number that many are willing to elect a clown rather than another of their number. They, too, might find themselves running against similar opposition in the public’s misguided attempt to clean house.

What the Trumpsters don’t seem to understand is that the very things that disgust them could get worse, much worse, if an inexperienced, finger pointing, billionaire egomaniac is elected to *any* political office.

What do you THINK is going to happen if they start electing “businessmen” to run the country. Corporate capitalism will run amok, foreign policy will fall apart, health care will revert to the insurance agencies and millions will suffer for it – etc. etc. etc.

God help us all.

• Wendy says:

Yes, Gods help us all.

9. I think a majority of Americans, including Trump supporters, are fed up with the state of the union. Rightly so. Bernie’s supporters were betrayed, primarily by the DNC. Trump’s supporters have given up any ideals they might have had and are just playing “we’ll show you”. Frustrations rule. This is a major crisis and it’s been building for decades.

• GREAT to hear from you again – and I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

I think we’re ALL fed up – and angry! Many of us feel impotent to do much besides complain about the widening gap between the haves and the have nots and the deterioration of American values. Clearly, we have lost ALL respect for politics and politicians. Few of us understand how we got here, and many just want somebody to blame.

Then along comes a billionaire celebrity who is social media savvy and all too willing to point his twitter finger to rouse the rabble — who are all too willing to scream, YES!

I hope you are right – that the seemingly unbelievable level of support for a man whose behavior is completely inappropriate and who has NO qualifications for the highest office in America is a big F-U to the political machine.

Now that they’ve gotten everybody’s attention, I pray that they’ll calm down before they cast their ballots out of that anger and disgust. Because things could get MUCH worse if they actually get him elected – and worse still if our politicians don’t heed their warning.

• Madelyn wrote: “Clearly, we have lost ALL respect for politics and politicians.”

With some exceptions! Senator Sanders, Senator Warren, some others at that level and, in fact, many many further down the chain. There are idealistic, very good people willing to work for the common good at all levels and they need support. I am so glad to see that Russ Feingold is running again; he is a hero.

• That is true – there are some exceptions, thank God. I believe we tend to tar the few with the stick of the many in a number of arenas, and the political field is certainly an arena that needs a great deal of reform.

My father differentiated between politicians and statesmen – and so do I. I retain respect only for the latter.

I wonder why Americans don’t vote for those good souls in greater number — and why the Party bosses don’t put them forward with ALL their support. Why didn’t the Republicans who are pulling their support from Trump now do it before he became their Party candidate? I’m sure we won’t know the backstory until they all start writing books and going on talk shows.

It pains me to say it, but I fear that few of those who are “idealistic, very good people willing to work for the common good at all levels” will ever make it to office in large enough numbers until we see some serious reform in campaign funding regulations and the media stops chasing rabble-rousing soundbites, focusing ONLY on the issues. Journalism was never intended to become publicity platform, but that is what it seems to have become.

And that’s just the beginning, as I see it – and how likely is it that those things will ever change?

I also favor term limits to make it more difficult for the politics of cronyism to get a firm foothold on the process.

• I fully agreed, and especially about the media, until the last paragraph. Term limits for the executive branch, yes. But I don’t like the idea of just freshman legislators. It takes time to learn the ropes. My Congressman, Jim McDermott, is retiring after his twelfth term. He has helped so many groups and individuals, often quietly.

They have term limits in a way. It’s until the next election. Blame the voters for the bad ones who stay on and on. (And with better media & campaign funding regulations, we’d have better voters.)

• Good point re: all Freshman legislators — and I DO blame the voters. You might enjoy an article I recently came across on that one: Stages of Grief when a Loved One Supports Trump.

10. sudershana says:

Very true and a great post!

• Thanks. I felt like I had to ring in somehow, then the HopeWorks articles said it first.

Thanks for reading and ringing in. Cross fingers for November.