When Depression Comes Knocking

Depression:
NONE of us can count on immunity
when life kicks us down

A Mental Health Awareness Month Post

Today, the first Thursday of October, is National Depression Screening Day.

I have written relatively little about my own struggles, and don’t intend to focus there. Nor do I consider myself a poet; I rarely share my amateur attempts. However, a brave post by writer Christoph Fischer touched me in a manner that an informational article would not have. I decided to risk pulling back the curtain on a bit of the struggle in my own life for just a moment, hoping that it will touch someone else in a similar manner and encourage them to reach out.

We are more alike under the skin than we realize.  NONE of us are really alone.

Nethersides of Bell Jars

I have been wrestling with PTSD along with struggles sleeping when it is dark out since a friend and I were gang mugged at gunpoint between Christmas and New Years Day, 2013 – only a few steps from the house where I rented an apartment.

My friend was pistol-whipped and almost abducted. After they robbed her, they turned their attention to me.

Among other things, my brand new iPhone, keys, datebook, all bank cards, checking account, and the locks on my van each had to be replaced – and everything else that entails.

Since the hoodlums smashed my dominant hand, I had to do it all encased in a cumbersome cast, one-handed for three months.  I wasn’t able to drive – or even wash my face, hands or dishes very well.  Zippers and can openers were beyond me.

Practically the moment my cast came off, I was informed that my landlord wanted her apartment back.  Apartment hunting, packing, moving and unpacking with a hand that was still healing – along with retrofitting inadequate closets, building shelves to accommodate my library and my no-storage kitchen, arranging for internet access and all the other details involved in a move  – took every single ounce of energy I could summon.  Eventually, I hit the wall.

Unpacking and turning a pre-war apartment into a home remains unfinished still.

In the past 2-1/2 years I’ve dipped in and out of periods of depression so debilitating that, many days, the only thing that got me up off the couch where I had taken to sleeping away much of the day was empathy for my puppy.

He needs food, water, love and attention, grooming, and several trips outside each day – and he just started blogging himself.

I’ve frequently had the thought that taking care of him probably saved my sanity – maybe even my life, but many days it took everything I had to take care of him, as the isolation in this town made everything worse.

The words below

I’m sharing the words I wrote the day the psychopharm I have visited since my move to Cincinnati decided not to treat me anymore.  When I called for an appointment, her receptionist delivered the news as a fait accompli, sans explanation.

• It might make sense to be refused treatment if I attempted to obtain medication too often.
  • The truth is that, for quite some time, I hadn’t been able to manage the scheduling details that would allow me to visit her at all — even though that was the only way to obtain the stimulant medication that makes it possible for me to drive my brain, much less anything else that might give me a leg up and out of depression’s black hole.
  • I would have expected any mental health professional to recognize and understand depression’s struggle. I hoped that she would be willing to help once I contacted her again. Nope!

One more thing I must jump through hoops to replace, costly and time consuming.

Related Post: Repair Deficit

And so, the words below, written upon awakening the day after I was turned away . . .

Remember that you can always check out the sidebar

The Netherside of the Bell Jar

Confined to one couch, exiled from another,
I’ve lived straining – arms outstretched
holding back dawn and praying for sleep,
shoulders aching.

I walk alone, companionship scripted on a screen,
theme music announcing the arrivals, shrieking over endless echoes
as day turns to night turns to daylight and darkness.
Dry eyes droop in sunlight, welcomed darkness in day’s exhaustion.

Day-dwellers here look past me as they stop for a moment to play with my pooch.

Unanswered cries of a night-keeper transcribed into notebooks,
documenting professional disinclination to offer aid
to those who can’t be scheduled.
Calls for help rattle the walls, amplified unanswered.

Many of life’s mistakes can be rectified
but emotion’s reverberations can’t be rewound.
No understanding.
No help. No hope.

It can happen to ANYONE

Yep!  NONE of us can count on immunity from depression when life kicks us down repeatedly – even when our lives look privileged from the outside.

Check out Patrick Kennedy’s CNN interview about what he and his family went through – while stigma kept them soldiering on in silence, as items like drug addiction and PTSD complicated the picture.

CNN Podcast: David Axelrod interviews Patrick Kennedy on Mental Health: a Public Crises
(a bit slow moving, so clean or straighten while you listen)

Fight BACK

We don’t need to give in to depression, however – or any other mental health challenge. We don’t have to let them win, keeping mental health forever in stigma’s shadow.

We need to do whatever we can to engage with life in any way we can manage until, inch by inch, we find our way again. Isolation can be a killer, and I can promise you that focusing on the struggles of someone else is very healing.

I write, pay attention to my puppy and reach out to help others – online and over the phone.

What do YOU do to keep on keepin’ on when life gets dark?

Related Post: You’ll Get Through This – a book for tough times

© 2016, all rights reserved

Related Articles ’round the net

49 Responses to When Depression Comes Knocking

1. Pingback: April 2017: Mental Health Awareness | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

2. L. M. B. says:

• I usually check links before I approve them but, since it’s YOU, I know it will be worthwhile and appropriate. THANKS! Approving now – looking in a bit.

• L. M. B. says:

I am honoured … please do whatever you need to do or find appropriate … the responsibility of “other peoples lives is in your hands … you have the power to tilt the scales … be sure it tilts onto the SAFE side. Strength and Honour my dearest Madelyn.

• No worries about your links – as long as you keep it to one “live” link per comment you won’t be auto-spammed and I will approve as soon as I see it. (multiple comments are okay if you have more).

NOW, my new friend, *you* have the lives of others in your hands. 🙂

• L. M. B. says:

Every day when I get into the car to drive to work … I pray … not long … just a sign of the cross and sometimes the “Our Father” reflecting on the part … forgive us as we forgive those who trespass against us. So there WE ask God … Let us start afresh … forgiving and starting a new day from scratch. To “live” … is not to be taken lightly, our life is like a candle in the wind … if it blows out … thats it! No coming back … so we have to protect it and keep it burning.

• It’s helpful to have a strong faith in something bigger than yourself, isn’t it? I’m big on gratitude lists too.

• L. M. B. says:

Religions put a wedge between people … Faith unites them. Belief is personal.

• WONDERFUL distinction. I’ll bet you’d like a post from 2013, “The Link between Leadership and Spirituality

• L. M. B. says:

Id rather believe … and be proven wrong! … Then in any way … I WIN ! https://youtu.be/ipXBy1ZAbh4

• Hedging your bets, huh? We don’t have to “believe” in air to be able to breathe.

3. L. M. B. says:

You left me with tears in my eyes … a lump in my throat and a a feeling like ther’s a stick of dynamite in my heart.

• You are a natural empath, as am I. We “feel” the feelings around us – a double-edged sword, right?

People like us need to develop ways to clear our own energy so we can remain open and positive. Can’t help a soul if we don’t do that.

• L. M. B. says:

One last thing … please! See this film caption and instead of head think … heart! Glass splitters in my heart. But don’t loose time on me … Im ok! Its just its all so SAD! Too little good and so much bad. Ther’s not enough people like you. Live long and prosper ! _/\_ …

• I have no choice – heart is always first. Head comes in to help me make sense of what I feel.

Ironically, there are quite a few people like me in the mental health and chronic illness community circles (those who suffer — the ones who make a living supposedly “helping,” not so much, sadly)

Those who have little, share much. It seems that many of those who have much hoard.

• L. M. B. says:

My wife Sandra works in an old folks home … and is just a good soul as anybody can be! I don’t know how you all manage! Angels? On earth!

• Sandra most certainly is, that’s for sure! It takes a special soul to walk with those at the end of life’s journey.

• L. M. B. says:

I was once visited an old man … who I often entertain? Exchange words? … anyway my wife saw me and whilst struggling putting an older bed bound lady … from a wheelchair into her bed … Sandra ( my wife ) asked me to give her a hand … ???? How ? Where do I hold her how do I lift her? It was a nightmare! And they do that DAILY ! Cleaning them up after having not been able to “contain themselves? Its DEFFINETLY NOT within everybody’s capability … and my wife is small ( beatyful … but max 1.70 cm ? … + or – ! ) How do they manage if not with the help of God?

• I think you answered your own question about how they manage. Mother Teresa was not very big wither, and look what she managed to do – even into her later years.

4. L. M. B. says:

You leave me speechless! I agree with you in all points, I guess it would be a different world if all the members of “Our Communities” would respect ALL of the others, but that would be “utopia”? To think otherwise?

• Heaven on earth, yes? Even when we don’t share their experience, I find it difficult to understand those who can’t empathize and offer supportive comments ONLY. My early attraction to theatre (my first career as well) was based in my belief that good theatre was our best shot at teaching empathy.

I’m really enjoying getting to know you a bit, btw.

• L. M. B. says:

Empathy … what a wonderful word … it means so much 7 vocabules that mean brotherhood … love and togetherness.

• Indeed. Plus, it feels good to touch the heart of another – even when that heart is troubled.

5. L. M. B. says:

All I can say at this point … is WOW! ( for many a reason .) A+++

6. So sorry you had such a tough time and with the additional lack of empathy from your landlady!

• Thank you. I share, hoping that maybe it might allow people to understand the importance of empathy to those who are struggling – and to allow my readers to understand that I do not blog from a place without personal experience of some of what they struggle with as well.

I appreciate the message of empathy and support from a colleague.

• My pleasure.It is so important to sometimes be transparent in our own struggles. It indeed helps our readers connect with us more, as none of us are immune to mental illness. xx

• And, although each of us is certain that, because we struggle in our own ways, we struggle alone, it is never really true. Community is healing – and telling our stories lifts the veil a bit. EVEN for professionals.

7. Wendy says:

Thank you for being strong enough to share your experience, I know how tough it is on you.

Your account of being mugged is horrific. The story of trying to get your life back together is heart breaking. Your struggles with the mental health professionals is abysmal. Unfortunately your experience with your mental health provider is not unusual. That appalls me. I’ve seen it first hand.

What do I do when the darkness hits? The same as you. I write, I reach out to friends both on line and texts. I lose myself in TV and books….that may not be the healthiest I’m not sure, often the books are on mindfulness. I take a bath, it’s better for anxiety. I cuddle with my dog, then she’ll want to play, and play is the best thing for depression. 🙂

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It was very brave.
    xo
    w

• Thank you for your ongoing support, Wendy – especially for this article. You deal with so much more than I do – and have been for so much longer. And your experience with so many health “professionals” has been beyond appalling.

It’s not surprising to hear that you do much the same as I in your attempts to recenter when things are most difficult. After all, I read your most excellent blog and see your comments on the blogs of others. You are an angel on earth.

• Wendy says:

You see much more in me than I think is there, but I’m glad.
        It’s comments like yours that keep me going.
        Thank you my friend.
        xoxo

• I doubt I see half of what’s there.

• Wendy says:

You see the good half. 🙂

• HALF? Oh my darling, you are far too hard on yourself. (Human frailties are not the “bad” part, either.)

8. Jo says:

Reblogged this on Jo the tumbleweed.

• Thanks so much for reblogging this, Jo. I think your readers will understand only too well – sadly.

• Jo says:

You are right 😦

9. badfish says:

Well, this is a very profound and well-written account. But…just so depressing what some humans do to others, and for what reason? Kicks? Brave of you to share this.

• Thank you for visiting, reading, and for your kind words. Time will tell whether I was brave or foolish. Supportive comments like yours make me glad I took the chance.

I don’t understand cruelty either. Robbery is at least understandable on some level – though more damaging than they know in cases like mine. It leaves scars. But cruelty? Drugs, probably.

Almost worse, in my mind, was my landlady’s lack of empathy – forcing me to move suddenly and before my hand was fully healed. The only logic I can come up with is that, since she had not replaced the walkway lights and we were mugged in the darkest part of an already dark street, she was afraid I might sue and wanted me too busy to handle the details.

Lack of kindness is “under the radar” cruelty — and far more pervasive and puzzling. In any case, it’s done now, and I must continue to take steps to get my life back. Onward and upward.

• badfish says:

if anyone can do it…it’s you I’m thinking, and yeah…what’s up with all the lack of kindness in the world?

• From your lips to God’s ears! I do not know about all the cruelty, etc. Is it the same in the countries you visit?

• badfish says:

For the most part when I travel, I see the good in people, but yeah, people are people everywhere. Here in Abu Dhabi, it is very safe, low crime rate, very little violent crime.
            I still get a page of script when I hit that polldaddy link…am I supposed to get a page?

• Repeat comment (we seem to be commenting at the same time):

WordPress adds a blue a”polldaddy dot com / rating dot js” deal at the bottom of comments clicked on from drop-down menu (the little graphic on the up right of your site). Only garbage when you click.

I’m guessing that it’s supposed to be invisible – and I think it’s what drives the like, approve, trash, spam stuff underneath the comment box itself.

• I’m of two minds on this reblog, Kate. One is extremely grateful, wanting to let EVERYONE know that depression can even hit professionals; the other is the one that almost didn’t hit publish.

Thanks always for your support.

• I’m sure it was very difficult for you Madelyn. It’s a difficult subject especially when you have first hand experience. But I think your wanting to help others subconsciously made you press the ‘send’ button. This is not a selfish or whining post – it’s to help other people by saying ‘this happened to me, it can happen to anyone and this is what I did to help me. It could work for you.
        You’re a very brave, unselfish woman Madelyn.

• Thank you, you DEAR woman. As you might guess, many of my colleagues recommend hiding their own struggles – calling it “professional” behavior, probablly afraid that it will effect their client base if anyone suspected they were “broken.”

This was a very caring reply, and it makes me feel A LOT better.

• Aww Madelyn!! If I made you feel better in any way I am glad. You are a good person to whom bad things have unfortunately happened. But you reach out to others to help them instead of closing yourself off in a dark place. You are a person ‘of the light’ as they say. Long may you shine :):

• What a wonderful ‘light’ you have shone on my experiences in the past few years. Thank you – more than I can say.