September 2016: Focus on Suicide Prevention

Articles ’round the ‘net
Depression, PTSD and more – the importance of kindness & understanding

September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

World Suicide Prevention Day – Saturday, September 10, 2016 – every year, since 2003. I deliberately choose to wait a day to post my own article of support for two reasons:

1. So that I could “reblog” and link to the efforts of others, offering some of the memes and articles they have created to give you both a quick hit and an overview of the extent of the problem.
  2. So that I could honor September 11th – another anniversary of loss and sorrow, as many Americans mourn the missing.

The extent of the mental health problem

Nearly 44 million American adults alone, along with millions more children and adults worldwide, struggle with “mental health” conditions each year, ranging from anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, ASD, OCD, PTSD, TBI to ADD/EFD and more.

One in five of those of us living in first-world countries will be diagnosed with a mental illness during our lifetimes.  It is estimated that more than double that number will continue to suffer undiagnosed.

Many of those individuals will teeter on the brink of the idea that the pain of remaining alive has finally become too difficult to continue to endure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One kind comment can be life-saving, just as a single shaming, cruel, unthinking remark can be enough to push somebody over the suicide edge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is PAST time we ended mental health stigma

Far too many people suffering from even “common” mental health diagnoses have been shamed into silence because of their supposed mental “shortcomings” — and every single person who passes on mental health stigma, makes fun of mental health problems, or fails to call out similar behavior as bad, wrong and awful when they witness it has locked them into prisons of despair.

We can do better – and we need to.

According to the World Health Organization, suicide kills over 800,000 people each yearONE PERSON EVERY 40 SECONDS. STILL there are many too many people who believe that mental health issues are not real – or that those who suffer are simply “not trying hard enough.”

This is STIGMA, and this needs to change.

I’m calling out mental health stigma for what it is:
SMALL MINDED IGNORANCE!

(unless, of course, you want to label it outright BULLY behavior)

Physician Suicide and “Physician Wellness”
Time to start talking about the elephant in the room!
Article HERE

SCROLL DOWN
for still MORE links to interesting posts

in the Related Content lists below.

© 2016, all rights reserved

Related Articles ’round the net

MORE Suicide Prevention Awareness Posts – 2016

Stop Stigma

29 Responses to September 2016: Focus on Suicide Prevention

1. Pingback: Mental Health Awareness in November | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

2. Pingback: Suicidal Kids linked to ADD/ADHD more than Depression | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

3. Pingback: October 10th is World Mental Health Day | ADD . . . and-so-much-more

4. Wendy says:

Wonderful article, as usual. I’m so out of touch this year. I forgot all about Suicide Prevention Day. I missed Vestibular Awareness. I’m missing Invisible Illness. I’m just not up to snuff. Writing seems like a chore. I’ll get back at it but right now I’m a bit off.
    Was wondering if you would like to do a guest post on my blog. You know what my blog is like, so you have a pretty open field as to what you’d like to write about. I don’t have a huge readership, but it’s growing. Maybe it would get you some traffic. 🙂

• It happens, Wendy.

There were months, after I was gang-mugged and was forced to move, that I missed everything – even ADD Awareness Week. It was simply impossible to do much online because of what was going on offline – replacing everything, repeated nonsense with iphone after iphone, and my emotional response to all of it.

Don’t beat yourself up. The blogs will wait. Take care of YOU. You’ve always done SO much, you’ve earned some time “off,” don’t you think?

As for the article, I’d be honored, Wendy. How sweet of you to think about me and traffic here.

Like you, I’m a bit under it, function-wise, so I can’t promise to get right on it, but I’ll slow cook some ideas to see what I can come up with.

I’m glad you felt up to reading a couple of my articles and leaving a couple of comments. And I always appreciate your positive comments about what I write.

You are an amazing woman, Wendy. NEVER doubt that everyone who follows you is aware of how incredibly special you are. There will be other Awareness events – and you will write wonderful articles when it’s not such a chore.

5. Pingback: September 2016: Focus on Suicide Prevention — ADD . . . and-so-much-more – Healing Veterans one step at a time

• Thank you so much for the reblog. I left a longer comment under the reblog on your site, *and* I wanted to express my appreciation here as well, for adding to the number of people likely to see this article.

Having experienced a period of acute depression, I can only thank God it didn’t go very far. This is a great post, timely. I thought about it when I saw yet again, the people who chose to jump from the Twin Towers rather than burn to death.

• Yes, I thought of them too, and I knew that the mere mention of 9/11 would bring them to the minds of others. I don’t know what I would have done in that situation – or were I facing the end of life, suffering acute pain insufficiently medicated by pain-management ignorant doctors reluctant to get me “addicted” (and themselves in a lawsuit or worse, most likely).

I’m sorry to hear you’ve gone through depression yourself – and glad to hear you came out the other side intact. It’s a perfectly horrid state.

ONLY those of us who have known depression, PTSD, TBI – or chronic pain – can really understand how devastating they can be, and how difficult it is to believe that life will ever be worth living again. It seems that those who have not think of depression as some sort of protracted bad mood that keeping busy or calling a friend might change — and fail to understand that our bodies don’t habituate to pain (it escalates).

They don’t have to understand the conditions themselves, of course – or empathize much at all – to learn to understand and believe that the words they themselves say to those who are struggling must be considered very carefully.

THAT’s the biggest reason why I think Suicide Prevention education is important – to keep those “others” from kicking somebody who’s struggling to find a reason to carry on over that suicide edge.

Thanks for the visit and for taking the time to comment. My apologies for seeming a bit testy in this response – I can’t get a few intentionally cruel comments out of my mind today.

Unfortunately, I doubt that those individuals will read anything that might change minds who assert that the acute depression of a supposed loved one is “malingering.” We can only reach those minds that aren’t already closed.

7. Paul K. says:

Thank you for connecting with me Madelyn. It’s great to see so many people who care about those with mental health problems. Best wishes!

• More and more, in the blogging community at least.

Education and empathy is what it will take to erase the stigma associated with mental illness, paving the way for mental health.

Those of us who care do what we can, yes?

8. Léa says:

Reblogged this on poetry, photos and musings oh my! and commented:
    Educate someone, learn more yourself and shine your light into this darkness.

• Thank you so much for the reblog, Léa. I hope people will click here, then click the links to read some of the articles I’ve referenced.

As I’ve said, a sad topic, but dealt with in many amazing ways all over the internet.

• Léa says:

As a therapist I thank you for this wonderful post. As one who tried (I was nine years old and no way to escape my abusers) I thank you.
        lf

• GOD I hate to hear that (and I hear it sooo many times!) – so you no doubt know already that you have a high risk profile for C-PTSD. Brave of you to be “out” about it – and healing to an extent, no doubt.

We need to shift the stigma from the abused to the abusers – and incarcerate the bloody bastards – may they rot in jail to be on the receiving end, if that’s what it takes to develop some empathy!

I have NO empathy to offer them. I just can’t seem to make myself forgive them.

• Léa says:

I would be a very poor therapist indeed if I didn’t know that and yes, I do have PTSD as did my father among his other issues. Despite what one might think, he was not my abuser. If the book is ever finished, rough-draft and first read-through done, and ever gets published you will be able to see that I have put it ALL “out there” and truly believe that it can’t hurt me anymore. I strongly believe that those of us who survive it owe it to those coming down the road to put it out there that one can survive and one can even have a life. If my words make a difference for one person, I will have done my job.
            Unfortunately, America seems to give rapists little more than a slap on the wrist. “Boys will be boys” and all that. The backlash of it all will be horrific. I’ve already heard someone asking “Where is Lorena Bobbitt when she is needed. While I don’t advocate what she did, I can comprehend the feelings of helplessness that drives such behaviour.
            These judges are telling us more about themselves than they realise and that too must be exposed.
            lf

• The Bobbit case was an abortion – that man needed to be apprehended long BEFORE it happened. She needed long-term mental health help, not a prison sentence – and the incendiary press needed to give things a SERIOUS rest.

In my opinion, every single man who heard the case was thinking about his own dick – thinking WITH it as well.

Is that the world we want to live in?

Good luck with the final edits and publication of your book. I agree that it will prove invaluable to those behind you on the pathway.

My life-story is filled with lesser tragedies and betrayals than yours, but I blog what I’ve learned to help others as well.

• Léa says:

Invoking Bobbitt is just another way to sell a paper… but you know that. I can hardly stand to read news from there and elsewhere. No, it is not a world I can bear to be a part of.
              Thank you for your support on the book. It is one I’ve been implored to write by former professors, fellow students (remember those courses in psychology where you were asked to share…?) and even colleagues. So much has happened in my life but as you know we can’t compare my experience to someone else. It is all relative.
              We have to quit using the “I was abused” excuse for committing crimes. I vividly remember, I wasn’t old enough to start school yet, telling myself that I wanted to be kind. I never wanted to hurt anyone as I had been hurt. To my knowledge, I have not.
              lf

• Two roads diverge from abuse. My mother stopped abuse in a single generation – insofar as she could control. She was my biggest supporter, and I didn’t find out even the tiny bit I know about the worst of it until after they both were gone. Before he succumbed to Alzheimer’s, my uncle confided in my father – who “didn’t want to know” so much that he had no details to share – with my sister, not even with me.

btw – my mother’s abuser was her mother. MY mother made the choice to be kind – just as you did. It IS a choice to DECIDE to participate in the cycle of abuse — and to get help if you feel you have no choice.

Then again, education is our only hope – which is why I was SO angry and disappointed with the University of Chicago deciding to, effectively, enforce a gag order on trigger warnings rather than becoming a voice for mental health education.

If we can’t even COUNT on our *supposed* educational institutes, we have a long row to hoe indeed!

• Thank you, Kate. Not a happy topic, but an important one. xx, mgh

• Indeed it is

• With education and understanding – and help – perhaps one day suicide will be rare. Thanks again.

10. PorterGirl says:

An excellent post. I hope people continue to reach out and know that however dark things get, they are NEVER alone.

• Thank you, PG. As I said in the intro, it’s really a sort of “gang reblog” with an intro. My intention was to curate a sampling buffet of sorts.

There was so much participation this year – so many heartwarming and heartrending posts from so many different points of view: various reactions from people who had lost loved ones to suicide, survivors of suicide attempts, different disorders & communities dealing with suicide, etc. (I was stunned to read that it was such a silent issue among physicians, for example.)

Rather than attempting to summarize, I picked a few to feature and more to link to – thinking that reading their words first-hand (and seeing how many their were to read) would be the more effective choice on many levels.

I appreciate your taking the time to show support with a comment.

• PorterGirl says:

My pleasure, of course. You and the contributors have done a sterling job and my hat is off to you all!

• For you to take your hat off says it all! Thank you!!!! (from one hat lover to another).

11. bp7o9 says:

I’m very honored you added a link to my post. Thank you for all your work!

• You are most welcome. Thank YOU for a wonderful post on your wonderful blog.