When did WordPress change?

When you make a mistake,
‘fess up and FIX it

Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CTP, CMC, ACT, MCC, SCAC

As regular readers know, I don’t like (or use) the WordPress reblog function because it doesn’t work for ADD/EFD readership, particularly in the manner in which multiple graphics are handled.

HOWEVER, I am making this exception as a show of support for a blogger who is now prohibited by WordPress from following any new blogs or bloggers – EVEN to the extent of hitting “like.”

None of his many followers can figure out WHY —
and others with similar statistics have recently received similar notices
(disclosed in the comments section of the blog that follows)

The response from the [used-to-be] good folks at WordPress is to dig in and defend, rather than ‘fess up and explain how it happened – OR disclose the specifics of the rules by which they sanction (read the comments on the blog of Opinionated Man – my own responses to the WordPress action are scathing!)

BY THE WAY

You don’t have to agree with what he says on his blog to defend his right to SAY it.

• There will be many people who won’t agree with what YOU say on your blog.
  • Wouldn’t you want somebody defending your right to say it if WordPress responded to them by shutting you down?

AT THE VERY LEAST, click over to click like to indicate that you are aware of this truly crappy decision on the part of WordPress.com and find it appalling.

Links to more detail, including their missives to him,
available from the link immediately below:

WordPress Account Disabled

Making things EVEN worse

There seems to be NO redress for the original action.

From their response, it seems clear that the policy is that if somebody makes a decision on statistics alone, the folks at WordPress.com refuse to revisit – or even EXPLAIN their [apparently new] “rules” for interaction with other blogs with any specificity.

It’s a “circle the wagons” response designed to provoke fear of “over-stepping” undisclosed boundaries.

Didn’t work with ME

My response is WHITE-HOT FURY at the back-end disclosure sans specifics — AFTER we have spent money and a great many minutes of our lives helping to build usage of the WordPress.com platform.

If WordPress doesn’t have the server space to keep up with the community they’ve actively sought and attracted, then they need to say THAT – not this nonsense!

I hope your response is similar, and that you will (as they say in the theatre)
“Sing out, Louise!”

Most companies become suddenly more reasonable once they become aware of wide-spread disdain.

“An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile
hoping it will eat him LAST.”
~ Winston Churchill

“It takes a village to transform a world!” ~ mgh

What kind of world do YOU want?

FYI – To get to the article, click on the name of the blog (immediately below) or on “View Original” at the bottom.

The longer link goes to a Forum discussion thread that one of the “Happiness Engineers” (their term, btw) has decided to close to additional comments in what appears to be their new black and white manner of avoiding having to comment toward clarification or issue resolution.

10 Responses to When did WordPress change?

1. annj49 says:

Thanks for this. Good to see the support for a much loved, popular, successful, often very forthright, very passionate blogger 🙂

I could not find links, however, in your post or below the post….?

Ann

• Thanks for checking it out and commenting.

I can only theorize about what might have happened to the links – more than a few. Although I noticed I had to replace my formatting when I jumped over to make sure the postlink worked, I didn’t notice that the links had been stripped. If OM had to remove his posts to get back up, perhaps all links to those posts were expunged as well? Just guessing, of course.

Unfortunately, I have no backup of that post, except those provided by WordPress itself. No links there either, even 2 years back.

Although we blog here and tend to consider our blogs our personal turf, we are not the only ones who can make changes to our sites and to our articles at any time — intentional or accidental, due to “improvement” updates that have not been tested.

It doesn’t happen ALL the time, but you will learn (if you haven’t already), it does happen regularly. Like bubbles under plastic – they move around but never go away completely. It’s always something, and reporting rarely changes much — as it takes a great deal of back and forth time with the “Happiness Engineers” before they seem to understand what you are saying. By then, the elves have generally found and fixed that issue, and another crops up to replace it.

Who knows why – I’m simply reporting my experience. Sorry about the links.

• annj49 says:

Too bad they are gone. Not sure if they were what I saw before it not…….I did see links on OM’s site around the time it all happened. I would like to have seen these ones too.

Thanks for the article though 🙂

• I really can’t help it – can’t seem to keep my mouth shut when I see injustice. It has cost me dearly throughout my life, but remaining silent would have made it tough to live with myself.

I’m really hoping that after I die some angel will explain the reasons behind a LOT of things. 🙂

2. janetkwest says:

The funny thing to me is that I didn’t think of doing the “LIKE” thing to build readership. Sigh. I need to work on my game. I just went over and read up on his stuff and the subject of the timing of LIKEs. Tricky subject. LOL. I have new knowledge. Still me though. Thanks for bring his story to light!

• Thanks, Janet. YEP – blogging (especially) was never set up to be a one-way communication.

Originally (before the spammer-scammer narcisists & capitalism-firsters decided to try to game the system), systems were set to favor community through the proliferation of ideas.

So likes, shares, reposts, links, etc. were designed to build readership, ideally, because they’d be left on sites with similar content or topic, automatically linked back to your own site so that interested readers could follow the bread crumbs (also notifying the original writer, who would check you out and return the favor). Then EVERYBODY wins!

That USED TO BE the best thing about blogging on this platform. WordPress wanted usage, and how better to attract users than to make it easy for them to build their communities?

THEN, bit-by-bit, they got autocratic as their own statistics grew. (What IS it about linear thinkers? They always seem to do that – have seen it in coaching communities like ICF and ACO too – and I DESPISE it.)

AS I SEE IT, the blog management statistics have become skewed, not only because of spammer-scammer-marketers, BUT ALSO because far too many bloggers focus only on their own sites and their own content and increasing their own readership. Even when they read the blogs of others, they don’t like, link, reblog or follow (for whatever reason I’ve never understood).

An early grumpy post (Back Scratching-101: How to get support for YOUR objectives) attempted to encourage likes etc. – thinking that the ADD/EFD readership had simply never focused on the reality that neglecting feedback to others was, not only NOT a very generous come-from – essentially selfish – but also not an approach that was going to help them build their own readership.

As a result of the lack of reciprocity from so many in the blogging community, so-called “power bloggers” who spend a lot of time promoting the content of others as well as their own get cast into the statistics net with the spammers.

I agree that it’s good management strategy to use stats to FLAG sites on the way to shutting down link-farmers – but sans up-front “rule” disclosure, follow-up READING to check out a flagged blog they’ve automatically shut down, or redress procedures and a willingness to admit it when they’re wrong, that approach becomes fascist-inspired BULLY behavior, pure and simple. And I REALLY despise bully behavior.

My feeling about bully behavior and fascist acts has always been that one has ONLY two choices in response:

1. cower in fear attempting to live beneath the radar, hoping they won’t come after YOU as long as you don’t make a fuss about what they did to another

-or-

2. do what you can to call out injustice whenever you can, living far enough above the radar that your sudden absence might leave a “hole” — hoping you’ll be missed if the “evil-doers” (love that term – lol) take you down too, praying that somebody ELSE will become a thorn in their side until things change for the better.

Can’t help it – choice number one makes me skeeve!

3. theblogwoman says:

I’ve been following the OM mess, people up in arms. He’s gone silent so it’s a waiting game, I guess. Somehow I doubt WordPress cares too much. There are other platforms that are newer and more lenient but don’t have the the volume of users that a power blogger would want.

Double edged sword. What a mess. Injustice indeed.

Will be interesting to see which way the cards fall.

• Thanks for reading – and for taking the time to comment. I responded to your “follow” by following you back, btw. (damn the torpedoes?)

In my experience, however, cards NEVER “fall” unless people like us knock them over.

Seriously – NO new platform is worth switching to if word gets around that WordPress was able to do this and get away with it with no negative impact on their usage stats.

As each grows too big to support effectively, they will justify their own statistics-management style by referencing the WordPress nonsense.

Don’t know about YOU, but I’m not eager to support ANY platform with the minutes of the only life I know for sure I’ll ever have without clear policies UP-FRONT (and an iron-clad grandfather clause).

Since that’s not likely, I may well be folding my blogging tent in the near future. It is becoming increasingly clear that this is (and has been) a lousy use of my time.
      Since

• theblogwoman says:

That’s discouraging to hear. It makes me think about actually reading their policies.

I’m not ready to move on. I want to see what happens – haven’t heard the fat lady sing so it may not be over yet.

It is interesting how emotional this has become for many people which makes me think it hasn’t been a loss. Clearly OM has tapped into a lot of passion and reached a lot of people. That’s certainly a good use of time.

• In one sense “a good use of time,” perhaps.

But co opting productivity by manipulating a swift change in priorities is a pretty crappy way to generate a show of passion.

I’m speaking of WordPress.com, *NOT* of OM, btw – he would have had nothing to post had the WordPress minions not taken the actions they did (for reasons I am beginning to doubt they will EVER explain.)

I’m not READY to move on just yet either – but, to me, it’s a bit like putting gas in your car as the dials show the signs you are going to need it SOON.

We’re never really eager to stop and take the time, but . . . it always takes a great deal *more* time once you run out.

Change is SUCH a hassle anyway, nobody wants to have to do so suddenly and without warning.

YET, who want to have to take the time to keep the tank topped off “just in case” – especially when nobody will tell you how much gas you are allowed to keep in the tank to determine appropriate “fillage.”

Thanks for taking time to respond.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )