New title sells books – sells OUT lives
Thursday, April 24, 2014 9 Comments
AD(H)D does NOT exist?
Give me a BREAK!
©Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, ADD Coach Training Field Founder;
ADD Coaching co-founder; ADD Poster Girl
Here we go again!
This might turn out to be another of the “shortest articles I’ve ever written.”
Shoot — it might be one of the ONLY short articles I’ve ever written (the list of “related articles” of outrage may well be longer!)
In this instance, it will be a cinch to be brief, since there’s not much to say about this utter nonsense — books on this fallacious point of view seem to crawl out of the woodwork about every seventeen years – like locusts!
And just as big a nuisance.
While more than disheartening, it is no real surprise to see that ANOTHER New York Times best-selling-author-wannabe has decided to make a fortune pandering to soundbite-mongers with a new book brandishing an incredulous title – a book with a cover that looks suspiciously like the one above (albeit with different words).
It’s yet another of the opinion-presented-as-fact books written by unthinking MDs who make the incendiary, controversial and condescending claim that ADHD does not exist.
The sound-bite press will make sure it will make headlines, no doubt, despite the reality that hundreds of expert MDs, scientists, geneticists and respected health organizations can site HUNDREDS of studies to back up their extremely credible and well-respected claims that it most certainly DOES TOO!
Will this NEVER stop?
So how many HUNDREDS MORE children are now going to be left to flounder until they are failing as ADDults because their parents will take this rubbish seriously?
How many HUNDREDS more ADDults will not be able to receive the help they need because their non-expert doctors will believe the popular press around this blather?
How many government officials will read this prattle and ring in to make it even MORE difficult for those of us who rely on medication to remain medicated?
This book takes a RIDICULOUS stance!
Let’s engage our brains for a moment.
It is as over-reaching to say that no one has ADD/ADHD as it would be to say that EVERYONE does — or, actually, to say that ALL of those with ADD “as we define it today” are suffering from something else.
Which IS what he is saying, by the way. His exact text is:
“In my view, not a single individual—not even the person who finds it close to impossible to pay attention or sit still—is afflicted by the disorder called ADHD as we define it today.” (Did you notice the escape clause amid the hyperboles?)
We do agree on one thing:
About the only thing this doctor-who-really-seems-to-want-to-be-a-celebrity-book-author and I can agree upon is the following point from his book:
“You may notice that there is something striking about the way we define this “illness”—that is, by its symptoms, rather than its cause.
If we were to define a heart attack by the chest pain one feels while undergoing one, then the appropriate cure would be painkillers, rather than ways of actually reviving and repairing the heart. Other examples are easy to find: Nasal congestion can be a symptom of a cold, allergy, or many other conditions, but a runny nose is not a diagnosis.”
A MUCH better read: science-based & brain-based
Another clinician – a neuroscience consultant, child and adult psychiatrist – has been making the statement immediately above for YEARS now. Yet he comes to a MUCH more sensible conclusion – on his blog, in his podcasts, and in his books.
GO CHECK OUT the blog of somebody who actually KNOWs about Attentional Disorders and dysregulation: Dr. Charles Parker’s CorePsych blog. (Linked again in the Related Content Below.)
We must . . . do all we can to take care when we make this diagnosis and offer treatment.
But we must not do what Alan Sroufe did and inflame the debate through reductive rhetoric, or do what Dr. Saul’s title suggests and walk away from the condition as if it were not there. ~ Dr. Edward Hallowell *
* Lifelong ADD Expert MD who says ADD DOES exist!” (is anybody scrambling to make a headline out of THAT?!)
As always, if you want notification of new articles, give your email address to the nice form on the top of the skinny column to the right. (You only have to do this once, so if you’ve already asked for notification about a prior series, you’re covered for this one too). STRICT No Spam Policy
IN ANY CASE, stay tuned. REGARDLESS of the opinion of a few non-expert doctors writing books, there’s a lot to know — and a lot here already, with a lot more to come. Get it here where it’s free for the taking.
Related articles right here on ADDandSoMuchMore.com
- Top Ten Stupid Comments from [supposed] ADD-Professionals
- RSA Animate – Changing Education Paradigms INDEED!
- Don’t Drink the Kool-Aid
- Transformational Rant
- I Have a Dream (Aspiring to Optimal Functioning)
- Sis Boom Bah!
- Occupy ADD!
- International [all-Expert] ADD Consensus Statement – SEVENTY-FIVE life-long expert doctors and scientists who *all* agree that ADD DOES exist!” – is anybody scrambling to make a headline out of THAT?! Has anyone read it ANYWHERE?
Other supports on ADDandSoMuchMore.com
Only a FEW Related Articles ’round the net
- Dr. Charles Parker’s CorePsych Blog
- ADHD and the Galileo Moment (CorePsych)
- ADHD Exists Despite Book “ADHD Does Not Exist,” Harold Levinson, M.D.
- It Doesn’t Matter if ADHD Doesn’t Exist, My Son Still Needs Drugs ! (on Dr. Levinson’s site)
- ADHD in the Media: The Good, the Bad, and the Ridiculous Edward Hallowell, M.D.
- ADHD Does Not Exist ?! Handelman, M.D.
- How to be an Effective ADHD Advocate – Dr. Kenny Handelman, M.D.
- ADHD Does Not Exist? Wrong, Richard Saul
- Don’t Tell Me “ADHD Does Not Exist”
- “ADHD Does Not Exist” – here we go again – ADD Tip o the Day
- Breaking News – ADHD Does Not Exist (I’m getting very tired of this)
- ADD is real (Misdiagnosis is a problem, but saying the disorder does not exist only increases stigma)
- I can’t tell what is more disturbing. A book titled “ADHD Does Not Exist” (or comments left by readers).
- ADHD sufferer reveals how condition has blighted her life.. and her anger at doctors who say it doesn’t exist
- Title is frustrating and blatantly incorrect – even in the way Saul intended it to be meant
- Educating Doctors About A.D.H.D. Without Resorting to ‘Ritalin Wars’
- Dr. Hallowell’s Rebuttal to Ritalin Gone Wrong
- ADHD Is No Myth
- ADHD is a real condition and it needs to be treated
- ADHD does not exist?
- ADHD DOES exist
- Most people say ADHD does exist
- Google excerpt from Clinician’s Guide to Adult ADHD: Assessment and Intervention
BY THE WAY: Since ADDandSoMuchMore.com is an Evergreen site, I revisit all my content periodically to update links — when you link back, like, follow or comment, you STAY on the page. When you do not, you run a high risk of getting replaced by a site with a more generous come-from.