Variations on ADD-ADHD
Saturday, December 8, 2012 8 Comments
Remember – links on this site are dark grey to reduce distraction potential
while you’re reading. They turn red on mouseover.
From the Brain-Transplant Series
ADD Information you NEED to know!
from THE ADD Poster Girl: Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CTP, CMC, MCC, SCAC
to grok the concept of these posts, click:
ABOUT The Brain-Transplant Series
(where you will find links to other posts in the Brain-Transplant Series)
- ADD or ADHD in addition to one or more of its “siblings” (commonly called “comorbid conditions” ) — like depression, anxiety, Tourette’s, OCD, etc.
- ADD or ADHD in addition to one or more of its “cousins” (commonly called “co-occuring” conditions) — seen frequently in ADDers, but not frequently enough to be “statistically significant“
- ADD or ADHD in addition to one or more “complicating” diagnoses that muddy the waters or exacerbate the symptoms (diabetes or eating disorders, for example — or sensory integration issues)
- ADD or ADHD in combination with chronic conditions of any type that “pull focus” in ways that impact your ability TO focus (migraines, arthritis, chronic pain for any number of reasons, etc.)
- ADD or ADHD along with the challenges of addiction recovery
- ADD or ADHD in combination with physical disabilities, each of which make the other more difficult than they would be in isolation (hearing or sight impaired, wheel-chair bound, etc.)
ADD kinda’ (not really but might as well be)
- ADD or ADHD characteristics — below the official diagnostic line, but still there and quite the challenge
- OTHER conditions which “mimic” ADD-affect — because they impact your ability to “drive your brain” in a so-called neurotypical manner, which leaves you (or a loved one) with symptoms and struggles that overlap ADD criteria (but are not technically, diagnostically ADD or ADHD.)
(By the way, from here on, I will use only ADD – if you want to know why,
Click ADD: Why I will never use the “H”)
There ain’t no IS about ADD™
If ADD-seasoning is any part of your mix, below are some links to a few of my articles with
NEED to KNOW INFO (only if you are planning to thrive, of course).
This information explores some of the many, many flavors of ADD, and some of the primary implications that follow from there — the brain-based reasons behind ADD struggles.
Once you have some basics in place, start with the titles that speak to you.
Branch out as you have time – you’ll find MOST of the articles will relate to YOU too.
(Bookmark this article to make it quick and easy to come back for more).
As I add to the Comorbidities Series, I’ll add links to the most relevent here.
Click the links within the articles themselves (or in the list of Related Content at the bottom)
for still more information — a reminder of how links work on this site always on the sidebar to your right — usually at the top of each article as well.
HEADS UP Coaches & ADD Pros: we NEED to KNOW 100% of this info
— some of it may be a merely a review,
but check it out before deciding you already know what’s there!
Leave us ALL info in the comments if you have additional information
you believe belongs with the article.
“It takes a village to educate a world!”
START HERE, for background:
- Looking through The ADD Lens™
- If the Shoe Doesn’t Fit, Don’t Blame the FOOT!
- Stages of Grief add a “spin” to symptoms
- Exploring post Dx Grief Stages: how to ID and why it’s important
- ADD = EFD: What ARE Executive Functions?
Get the Diagnosis right!
We are NOT alone – we have more in common than we realize
Dances with Diagnoses: ‘sup with YOU?
- NINE Challenges to Effective Functioning – What ARE they?
- Remembrance of Selves Past (memory deficits, anyone?)
- Oppositional Rising
- Stubborn or Stuck? — Overfocusing
- ABOUT ADD and Sleep Struggles
- JetLagged for Life
- ABOUT Hyperactivity
- ABOUT Impulsivity
As always, if you want notification of new articles – in a the Brain Transplant Series, or any new posts on this blog – give your name and email to the nice form on the top of the skinny column to the right. (You only have to do this once, so if you’ve already asked for notification about a prior series, you’re covered for this one too) STRICT No Spam Policy
If you’d like some one-on-one (or group) coaching help with anything that came up while you were reading any of the articles linked above (either for your own life, that of a loved one, or as coaching skills development), CLICK HERE for Brain-based Coaching with mgh (with a contact form at the bottom) -or- click the E-me link <—here (or on the menubar at the top of every page) and I’ll get back to you ASAP (accent on the “P”ossible!)
Graphics gratitude: Sea Creature Vector by BirdHausDesign.com, snagged on freevector.com
Joe Bird is a world-renowned graphic ARTIST who was cool enough to share the doodle above
©Creative Commons, attribution only, playing with new software @ freevector.com —
you HAVE to click BirdHausDesign.com to see what he really does
(play his demo animations, read his bio and be AMAZED!)
It’s a good time for ANYONE who appreciates the visual arts — cool sound-track too!