How I Coach
Sunday, May 1, 2011 1 Comment
Remember – links on this site are dark grey to reduce distraction potential
while you’re reading. They turn red on mouseover.
by Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CTP, CMC, ACT, MCC, SCAC
I want every one of my clients to enjoy their coaching time, and I firmly believe that only happens in an unconditionally constructive atmosphere.
Like all coaches, I’ll always encourage your very best efforts. My come-from, however, is that we ALL do the best we can at all times, especially during those times when it could easily look otherwise.
- I know that on days when my own functional temperature is low, I’m working twice as hard, not half as hard, even if I have little to show for my efforts.
- I need a coach who will remind me not to beat myself up, not one who will initiate the beatings!
To my mind, anyone who does well with a “tough love” approach is doing so in spite of the approach, not because of it. I want my clients to develop healthy motivational strategies.
How I’d help YOU
If you become one of my clients, whenever you are struggling through an unproductive period I’ll do my dead-level best to give you what you need to be heard, mirrored, supported and loved back into your groove.
I don’t, however, step over much. I make direct requests, give honest feedback and assign as much coaching homework as you can manage — because I believe you hired me because you want to grow, not because you want someone to talk to about why you’re stuck.
I’m big on Sherlocking. ADD/EFD or not, I’ll help you figure out why things aren’t working, when they’re not, and why things ARE working when you are unusually productive.
- I’ll help you develop systems that work the way you work, which must begin with an exploration of your functional profile. Only then will we have the information we need to identify the cause of the glitches and to develop systems to get the job done no matter what’s going on.
- The hardest work for both of us will come during the period when you are developing the habit of using these systems, so that tasks that can be put on autopilot aren’t taking up prime decision-making neurological real estate.
If you are someone who is motivated by checking things off and crossing things out, I have a library of proprietary programs that are targeted to just about any area of life. Since I developed most of these personally, I will probably be able to come up with something that will work well for you relatively quickly, even if we have to put our heads together to develop a brand new way of working.
Our early coaching calls identify those areas that need work and prioritize your development. Once we have an action plan, our coaching calls become sessions to keep you on track, motivate you to get into action and extend your reach, and celebrate your milestones.
My Coaching Philosophy
All professional coaches have an underlying way of looking at life and at coaching that shapes their particular approach and determines how they work.
I personally believe that it is impossible to make lasting changes
in reaction to any tincture of shame.
When a client is able to see that the some of the choices they have made to this point are simply choices that haven’t worked, not choices that say something about their intrinsic worth as a human being, rapid progress is possible.
The Basics of MY approach with Clients
- There is nothing wrong here.
- What’s working already?
- What’s working about it? What values are being expressed?
What needs are being met in a healthy, constructive way?
- How can we expand that into the rest of your life?
- What are you tolerating?
- What actions can you take (or requests can you make)
to eliminate all tolerations, one by one?
- What’s in the way of your really shining? Where are the blocks?
What are you trying to do the hard way (for you)?
- What systems can we put in place to work around what you don’t do well
and utilize all of your strengths?
- If your life were EXACTLY the way you want it, what would it look like?
- NOW, lets work on setting up your life so you love it.
We’ll develop an action plan and I’ll coach you every step of the way.
Get in touch when you are ready to move forward by working with and honoring how you work — instead of trying to motivate yourself to succeed in spite of it!
Don’t have the budget for private coaching? Check out Peer Coaching Basic Training – learn how to trade accountability and follow-through coaching with a Peer.
Click below for more Info about Coaching with me
I coach clients who . . .
Recognize yourself here?
If the Shoe doesn’t fit . . . don’t blame the FOOT!